Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple ID for a child

Why do I need a credit card instead of a debit card to set up an Apple ID for a child?

iOS 8.1.1, Ipad Air

Posted on Oct 3, 2015 2:28 PM

3 replies

Oct 3, 2015 4:10 PM in response to zinacef

Thanks for the reply, but you don't understand. I want to keep the debit card I have associated with the account. I don't want to add a credit card. The message verbatim is

"You currently have a debit card on file. To create an account for a child, you must verify that you are an adult by adding a credit card to your account in iTunes & App Store Settings."

Oct 3, 2015 5:15 PM in response to earlboston

In order to electronically agree for a child to access on-line services, you must verify your age. You can not legally do that with a debit card. A credit card is acceptable. This is a legal requirement. There are, potentially other ways to prove this, involving notarized copies of legal forms of identification physically presented to the service provider in question, but Apple (as well as most on-line service providers) has chosen the use of a credit card as the most practical, and widely available form of proof.

You can change the payment method back to a debit card and remove the credit card information from your account after verification.

Falsification of information in order to get an account for a child without the need to verify your age is a crime.

Apple ID for a child

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.