Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I downloaded El Captian and can't find the file to install it.

I downloaded El Captian and it wouldn't install. I tried to download it again but is says downloaded. I can't find the download file to install it.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011), OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 3, 2015 1:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2015 2:27 PM

Applications -> Install OS X El Capitan

9 replies

Nov 22, 2015 6:36 PM in response to BobHarris

I downloaded El Capitan and installed it. I now want to make a bootable stick drive. I cannot locate it in Applications . Could it have another name? I have checked the 'date modified' for a time sequence sort and I'm not seeing anything. Here are two screen shots one of my "about this Mac" and one of the Applications Folder sorted by most recent date.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Nov 22, 2015 7:10 PM in response to BobHarris

Hi Bob... I just read that the El Capitan installer deletes itself after installation.. is this true?
"..once you install it on the machine you’ve downloaded the installer deletes itself."

I also read " ..You make a copy of the installer and save it in another folder or external HD before installing."

So.... should I download one more time and save the installer in my Applications 'un opened'?

thanks!
J

Nov 22, 2015 7:56 PM in response to jannx

jannx wrote:

@leroydouglas
here's a screen shot of my Applications folder sorted by descending time/date. No sign of "Install OS X El Capitan.app"... any other locations it could be hiding at. I did a spotlight search and it turned up nothing on my Mac.

Yes if you installed it, then it removes itself automatically after the install.

You can redownload from the App Store>Purchases. Hold the option key if necessary.

If the installer opens on download, just quit the app. Then it will be there waiting in your app folder.

I downloaded El Captian and can't find the file to install it.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.