Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

El capitan won't install

I upgraded from 10.6.8 to El Capitan. I tried to install initially and the download wouldn't start, so tried again and it started the second time.

Upon restart I get an error that says 'OS X could not be installed on your computer - File system verify or repair failed. Quit the installer or restart your computer to try again' and then there is just a restart button, which I have tried several times, with the same error message appearing each time.

I have also tried to quit the OS X installer and go though the start up disk, but the only option I have is OS X 10.6.8, when I do click on it it comes up with another error which says 'You can't change the startup disk to the selected disk - startup disk could not gather enough information on the selected disk'

I am just going round and round in circles with this system....

iMac

Posted on Oct 3, 2015 2:04 PM

4 replies

Oct 12, 2015 12:59 PM in response to errie81

I tried this, but don't seem to get the option to back up from time machine. I only get Firmware Password Utility, Disk Utility, Terminal, System information as options

When I do choose Disk Utility and I run first aid, all of the disk images are fine, no errors, except on Macintosh HD - it says First Aid Process has failed. If possible back up the data on this volume. Press done to continue.

When I click on show details it says:

Repairing file system

Checking journaled HFS Plus volume

Checking extents overflow file

Checking catalog file

The volume Macintosh HD could not be verified completely.

File system check exit code is 8.

File system verify or repair failed.

Operation failed...

El capitan won't install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.