Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is El Capitan compatible with Aperture and iPhoto?

My photos do not open properly with El Capitan in my Mac lPro or iMac. Is this software compatible with Aperture or iphoto. This will be a real bummer if Apple has intentionally produced an incompatibility.

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), OS X El Capitan (10.11), My computer is up to date.

Posted on Oct 3, 2015 2:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2015 2:28 PM

The most current versions are compatible with El Capitan.

I don't know what version of Aperture you need, but you need 9.6.1 of iPhoto.

If you never purchased a version 9.x of iPhoto, there isn't a way to get it unless you get some relief from the App Store Support folks.

If you have purchased a 9.x version, and it shows up in your Purchases, you can download it. See here: Can't Update iPhoto because it is not available in the App Store

I believe the same process works for Aperture.

But, those are the very last versions of both. Apple replaced both with Photos.

30 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 3, 2015 2:28 PM in response to Adak1

The most current versions are compatible with El Capitan.

I don't know what version of Aperture you need, but you need 9.6.1 of iPhoto.

If you never purchased a version 9.x of iPhoto, there isn't a way to get it unless you get some relief from the App Store Support folks.

If you have purchased a 9.x version, and it shows up in your Purchases, you can download it. See here: Can't Update iPhoto because it is not available in the App Store

I believe the same process works for Aperture.

But, those are the very last versions of both. Apple replaced both with Photos.

Oct 3, 2015 2:55 PM in response to Ziatron

While I tend to agree with you that there are third party solutions available. I plan to drop Aperture as soon as possible. I think my current library will be enough of a problem migrating to another photographic solution so why should I keep adding to it. I hope to start testing a demo in a couple of weeks as soon as I recover from my eye surgery.

Oct 3, 2015 3:07 PM in response to Allan Eckert

I think my current library will be enough of a problem migrating to another photographic solution so why should I keep adding to it.

I understand completely. My library is growing slowly so less of a concern for me.

I hope to start testing a demo in a couple of weeks

What demo do you plan on trying? You see, I trust your judgment.

as soon as I recover from my eye surgery.

I hope your recovery goes well. Please understand I mean the following in the best possible humor. If you are recovering from eye surgery, why are you here?

Oct 3, 2015 3:14 PM in response to Ziatron

I have 3.6 and the latest iPhoto version. Somehow the pictures in full display mode look like they have a thin film over them. Thumbnails appear to be OK. I am trying a work around. I like Lightroom which I originally ditched for Aperture and now wish I hadn't. I may go back to lightroom and photoshop. Aperture sure was a nice program though.

Thanks!

Oct 12, 2015 4:59 AM in response to Murray Mac

I should have also stated that I never used the Yosemite OS, and went to straight El Capitan from 10.9.5. Therefore, the Aperture 3.6 was not available to me as an update. And now that I am in El Capitan, the Aperture 3.6 is still not available to me.

I have a very strong feeling, that in order for Aperture to work in El Capitan, on needed to install the Yosemite OS, then update Aperture to 3.6, then install the El Capitan.

Yes, no, maybe?

Oct 12, 2015 5:13 AM in response to Murray Mac

I have a very strong feeling, that in order for Aperture to work in El Capitan, on needed to install the Yosemite OS, then update Aperture to 3.6, then install the El Capitan.

Yes, no, maybe?

Did you read and attempt the steps in the User Tip I linked to? You would have to replace any reference to iPhoto with Aperture, but the process would be the same.

If you got the message that there was an update, then you should be able to download the most current version of Aperture using the technique I posted above.

Is El Capitan compatible with Aperture and iPhoto?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.