Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My 2009 iMac 27" won't boot up all the way.

I was watching a Youtube video and suddenly the screen went dark, the music continued playing, but I couldn't pause it. I then powered the iMac off and restarted it. The screen was white, then the grey Apple logo, then a status bar growing to about a third of the way, then the screen completely turned white with no response to keyboard or mouse commands. I then turned it off then on and held down the "D" key to try the diagnostics. Nothing happened. I tried again and still nothing happened. Just the same as before, status bar then white screen. Next I tried going into "safe mode" by rebooting and holding the shift key until the status bar appeared. This worked, but safe mode limits my activities. I did upgrade from Yosemite to El Capitan thinking this might fix my problem, it didn't. If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate it. I'm 45 minutes from an Apple store. I think that the problem is some kind of glitch at start up, but I'm only guessing.

--Ron

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11), 2009 27" 2.66 ghz

Posted on Oct 3, 2015 3:04 PM

1 reply

My 2009 iMac 27" won't boot up all the way.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.