Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro - Migrating data from HDD to SSD

I just got a Crucial BX100 1TB SATA 2.5 Inch Internal Solid State Drive.

I looked at posts from 2012 and I'm unclear how to migrate or clone all data from my original HDD in my MacBook Pro (Early 2011) with El Capitan Version 10.11 installed.

I bought a USB 3.0 to 2.5" SATA HDD/SSD Cable, to connect my new SSD to my USB port, so I can transfer everything from my original HDD to my SSD before I put the SSD in my MacBook Pro. I need step-by-step instructions on how to get this done, in the safest, best and easiest way possible. I'm not very computer savvy so please make instructions clear and simple. Please include how I make my new SSD the start-up disk.

My Macintosh HD is 736.66 GB

I read something about "TRIM Enabler" but don't know if I need that or not. I don't understand what it is for. I need to keep everything as simple as possible, but I want to make sure it's done right the first time.

Thank you.

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 3, 2015 4:21 PM

3 replies

Oct 3, 2015 5:40 PM in response to anil_861

There is a link for an installer that came with my SSD, but it's a .exe file http://www.acronis.com/en-us/promo/tihd-download

and I can't use that on my Mac. Is "Carbon Copy Cloner" an installer I need for my MacBook Pro to replace that other installer?

I have watched the video, but I can't remember it. I have a memory disability, which only allows me to remember basic stuff for a very short time.

I need Step-By-Step instructions to do this project, so I can read step-by-step what to do. I can copy/paste instructions to an email and I can read it as I go along, from my cell phone.

Thank you.

MacBook Pro - Migrating data from HDD to SSD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.