Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to use an Airport Extreme to attach a NAS to a wireless network when the Airport Extreme is not the primary base station?

I just upgraded to a faster internet speed (100/100) with FIOS. So, I am now running the latest FIOS router as my primary access point. I have also relocated this access point to a different position in my house to get better wifi coverage then I had prior. Unfortunately, this leaves me not being able to connect my NAS into the new access point via ethernet.

I was using an Airport Extreme (5th Gen.) and Airport Express (2nd Gen.) to provide my wifi coverage. However, the new FIOS router seems give me much better coverage and I no longer need the Airport network.

Can I use my Airport Extreme to connect my NAS to the network?

I successfully gotten the Airport Extreme to "join" my existing wifi network. Can I set it up to now make use of the LAN ports on the back of it?

Posted on Oct 3, 2015 3:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 6:53 AM

I successfully gotten the Airport Extreme to "join" my existing wifi network. Can I set it up to now make use of the LAN ports on the back of it?

Unfortunately, when the AirPort Extreme "joins" a wireless network, the Ethernet ports are not enabled on the device, so it won't be possible to do what you ask with the AirPort Extreme.

Surprisingly though, the AirPort Express can "join" a wireless network...and the Ethernet port(s) are enabled on the Express.

The downside of course, is that the Ethernet port on the Express is only rated for 100 Mbps, so you will be losing a tremendous amount of speed on the network if the NAS is using 1,000 Mbps or Gigabit Ethernet ports.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 4, 2015 6:53 AM in response to CB137255

Unfortunately, when the AirPort Extreme "joins" a wireless network, the Ethernet ports are not enabled on the device, so it won't be possible to do what you ask with the AirPort Extreme.

Surprisingly though, the AirPort Express can "join" a wireless network...and the Ethernet port(s) are enabled on the Express.

The downside of course, is that the Ethernet port on the Express is only rated for 100 Mbps, so you will be losing a tremendous amount of speed on the network if the NAS is using 1,000 Mbps or Gigabit Ethernet ports.

Oct 4, 2015 6:52 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Well, that is very disappointing.

The speed drop from the express is just too much. I will have to explore some other options as the distance of running an ethernet line is just too long and through too many walls.

I have heard that power line adapters have made some vast improvements recently. That might be my way out of this dilemma.

Thank you for the information. Hopefully, Apple will rethink enabling the LAN ports on the extreme.

Oct 4, 2015 7:36 AM in response to CB137255

I have heard that power line adapters have made some vast improvements recently. That might be my way out of this dilemma.

Powerline could possibly work, but again with some significant performance compromises. The fastest powerline products are advertised to be in 500 Mbps range, but there are no industry standards for powerline performance, so it is difficult, if not impossible to compare the specifications of one brand to another.

Another factor to keep in mind is that most powerline manufacturers publish their speed specifications using ideal conditions.....the two powerline adapters are not too far from one another and they are on the same electrical circuit.

Things can change tremendously when the adapters have to jump from one circuit to another. In other words, the signal must literally go back to the main circuit panel from one adapter and then travel all the back to the other adapter.

So, if you decide to try the adapters, it would probably be a good idea to understand the store's return policy in advance. The reason for this is that you will not know how well......or even if.....the adapters will do what you want until you try them out in your home.

Good luck!

Is it possible to use an Airport Extreme to attach a NAS to a wireless network when the Airport Extreme is not the primary base station?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.