Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When upgrading iphone 4s to OS 9, iTunes said it could no longer support my phone. Need to upgrade iTunes. Then when I tried, my MacBook Pro doesn't have the OS for the new itunes. Why didn't my computer tell me before istarted?

I was upgrading iPhone 4s to OS 9 using MacBook Pro 2011. No iCloud. Half way through the upgrade iTunes ejected the phone because it needed a newer version of iTunes to run it. The upgrade finished I believe through wifi. When I tried to upgrade iTunes, after downloading it, my computer was not compatible with its OS 8.6. Why didn't itunes tell me when I started the upgrade? I almost thought I lost my phone.

iPhone 4S, iOS 9.0.2, MacBook Pro 2011

Posted on Oct 3, 2015 4:48 PM

4 replies

Oct 4, 2015 8:35 AM in response to Suzanne4856

There appears to be a lack of clarity over this question. iOS9 seems to require iTunes 12.3 but others have said they get it to work with lower iTunes versions as long as they do the iOS upgrade online and not with iTunes. Apple's iOS9 online manual says iOS9 works with 10.6.8.

One thing is for certain. Apple does not use this forum to respond to this kind of question so do not anticipate a response here other than lots of other "me too" type of posts from people in a similar position. If Apple does see a need for clarity it will likely either be a change in the online manual or something else "just happening". It is also vaguely possible some enterprising user may find a way to get things to work but I haven't seen such a post yet.

When upgrading iphone 4s to OS 9, iTunes said it could no longer support my phone. Need to upgrade iTunes. Then when I tried, my MacBook Pro doesn't have the OS for the new itunes. Why didn't my computer tell me before istarted?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.