Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages not showing contact name on lock screen

when my iPhone 6 is locked some messages show on lock screen with contact name, but others just show the phone number. To know who these are from I need to open the message app. The name of the contact is then shown. Spoke to apple support and fixed issue by deleting the contact and also the entire thread from that contact. Works but means I now don't have the thread. This happens to random contacts, some are iPhone users, some aren't. There is no set pattern. Anybody else having this issue? And anybody know of an alternative fix? First happened after iOS 9, since updated to 9.0.1 and most recently 9.0.2

iPhone 6, iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 3, 2015 3:37 PM

8 replies

Oct 17, 2015 3:51 AM in response to loulour1982

I'm having the very same issue. I have made sure all my contacts are only on iCloud and not sharing from other areas. I have removed any duplicate entries in contacts just in case this was causing problems. I have tried turning contacts off & back on again in iCloud, and most other ideas I have read on the net but none have fixed the issue.

Anyone else got any fixes?

Nov 29, 2015 1:47 AM in response to loulour1982

i have experienced this also since ios9 update. Though what I have just noticed is that it seems to happen for numbers which have an international code at the beginning. I have now updated all numbers from the UK (country of residence) to remove the international code ( +44 / 0044) and replace it with the normal '0'. And all seems to be fine, at the moment... This may have a relation to a previous issue I read about where dial assist (assistance on international dealing codes) affected the display of contact names.

does this work for anyone else!?

iphone 6 Plus iOS 9.1

Dec 6, 2015 11:17 AM in response to loulour1982

Hello all, i have came to the conclusion that this issue is either part of the IOS, new phones themselves, or the carrier. But since apple does not admit it is part of the IOS and that my family have the same phone and they do not have that issue makes me conclude that it is not linked to the IOS, then it must be either linked to the devices or to the carrier. The reason i made this conclusion is because i have had this issue with my iphone 6 for months since the day i unboxed it. I finally took it to Apple and the genius there suggested it could be linked to my carrier. He exhanged my phone and gave me a brand new one, but the problem still persists. It seems as if this issue is related to the memory of the device itself. Unless if everyone here has t-mobile then it could be linked to both. I also noticed that the probelm goes away once remove the passcode, i thought it was a security measure but again, if it was a feature, it would be known by the genius and mentioned in the new update.

Messages not showing contact name on lock screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.