Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

adding to a number already in a cell

I'm a first time user of Numbers and therefore this is probably a basic question to most, but I can't find an answer.

How to add to a number already in a cell. For example I had $10 in the bank and wanted to add another $10 which should make the total $20. I clicked the equals button and obviously I have to enter a formula but what?

thank you

Posted on Oct 3, 2015 5:00 PM

2 replies

Oct 3, 2015 7:34 PM in response to Drubah

Hi Drubah,

As SG suggests the templates are a great place to start in learning how to do things in Numbers.

A cell can have data or a formula but not both. so it I want a running total I would need a column for that total.

User uploaded file

Here is a simple formula that takes the previous balance and adds the current transaction to it. I created the formula in B3 and used the yellow dot that appears when I hovered over the cell to fill the formula down the column. So when I make an entry in A4 the formula in B4 will add it to B3.

quinn

adding to a number already in a cell

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.