Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

With Restore option using iTune, What happen to the existing content?

While updating using iTune, getting option of Update and Restore, with the restore option what happens to my content.

iPad Air Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on Oct 3, 2015 7:08 PM

7 replies

Oct 3, 2015 7:16 PM in response to Raju GB

The content will be totally erased. One will typically choose the restore option if the device as a last resort because of problems that can not be resolved any other way. Once the device is erased a fresh copy of the iOS will be downloaded and placed on the device. This is called restoring to factory settings.

The good news is that restoring to factory settings is a standard troubleshooting step that can clear up all of the problems on your device and if you have a backup, you can restore the backup, sync with iTunes again or load your iCloud backup and the device will be exactly like it was before you restored the iOS.

Use iTunes to restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

When I first tried to update my iPad 3 to iOS 9, I got the connect to iTunes screen. I chose the option to update again and it went fine, I didn't have to restore. I would give that option a shot first and if you need to, then restore to factory settings,

Oct 3, 2015 7:37 PM in response to Raju GB

It's too late to backup now. However, when you asked what happens to your content, I assumed that you meant your data on the iPad. You can not save the data or settings now. But you will be able to download all of your purchased content again for free as long as it is still available to download. This explains how to do it.

Download past purchases from iTunes - Apple Support

Oct 3, 2015 7:48 PM in response to Raju GB

I'm sorry, but no. It is too late now to recover your files. If you were using the iCloud Photo Library, your photos will still be in iCloud and should download to the iPad after you restore it. If you were not using iCloud Photo Library, and don't have the photos backed up anywhere else, they are gone now.

Oct 3, 2015 8:03 PM in response to Demo

Thanks, it looks like I am loosing hopes of recovery but now I am connected to my iTune with laptop and seeing the message that "iPad Recovery mode" iTune is currently downloading software for the iPad.

Download is in progress but in-between getting popup saying "There is a problem with the iPad that requires it to be updated or restored"

Can I wait till software download complete and try any option

With Restore option using iTune, What happen to the existing content?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.