Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Email content not downloading from server in ios 9

Now that I've upgraded, I'm getting this error message many more times than I used to. What is the setting I need so I can see the content of emails whose content I was able to see in ios7 [skipped 8]

iPhone 5, iOS 9.0.2, 16 MG

Posted on Oct 3, 2015 7:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 7:01 AM

Try resetting your Mail Account and system by following these steps (please do not skip any steps). First close your Mail App completely from the multitasking window by double clicking the Home button and swiping up the Mail preview pane up until it disappears from the screen. You may have to look for the Mail pane by scrawling to the left as there may be other panes there from other apps. Then go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > locate your email provider and click on the account. Then on the next page Delete Account. Then do a forced restart. Hold down the Home and Wake/Sleep buttons at the same time for about 15-20 seconds until the Apple logo appears. Ignore the "Slide to power off" text if it comes up. You will not lose anything. Then go back to Settings > Mail… and add the account again.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 4, 2015 7:01 AM in response to jkoerner

Try resetting your Mail Account and system by following these steps (please do not skip any steps). First close your Mail App completely from the multitasking window by double clicking the Home button and swiping up the Mail preview pane up until it disappears from the screen. You may have to look for the Mail pane by scrawling to the left as there may be other panes there from other apps. Then go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > locate your email provider and click on the account. Then on the next page Delete Account. Then do a forced restart. Hold down the Home and Wake/Sleep buttons at the same time for about 15-20 seconds until the Apple logo appears. Ignore the "Slide to power off" text if it comes up. You will not lose anything. Then go back to Settings > Mail… and add the account again.

Oct 4, 2015 7:21 AM in response to jkoerner

Oh oh, most accounts are IMAP like Yahoo (what I have), Gmail, Outlook, etc. IMAP accounts are easy to reset, POP accounts a little more difficult. If you have a POP account you are wise to write down the details. If you have an IMAP account you can go to a Safari browser page, or any other browser for that matter on any computer or iDevice, bring up the log-in page, log in to your account and see all your emails. You can then do a test, send a worthless email, i.e., send an email to yourself with Test on the subject line and Test on the body. Then go to any other device and check - your test email should be there and if so delete it, then go back to where you sent it from and it should be gone as well. This is how all IMAP accounts work. I am not sure on the following (I do not have a POP account) but I believe that the above will not happen with a POP unless you specifically set it to delete from the server as well. Maybe others will jump in here and clarify.

Oct 4, 2015 12:25 PM in response to valeriefromrock springs

valeriefromrock springs wrote:

Soooo I have to act like i am setting up ALL SIX of my email accounts as new accounts simply because I upgraded up to a new and still buggy IOS. Way to go Apple. Locking up a brand new iPhone with a system upgrade and a two month old iPad now has to get all the email accounts manually re entered? Hmmm... Not great advertising.

Don't rant to me about it, I am a phone user just like you who volunteers to help other users on this forum, apparently not you. If you want to express your displeasure do so here: http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Email content not downloading from server in ios 9

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.