Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Different Password for system wide Preferences?

Hello,

I have a MAcBook Air 13" running OS X El Captain. I am getting a prompt where I have to submit a password for making a system widw preferences like installing apps and changing settings. My MacBook is like a data base, I have lots of stuff of my friends like their photos, videos, documents and all their iPhone back ups and lots of other stuff. Basically what I am saying is my laptop is like a Data Bank where people hide their private stuff. The thing is I don't want anyone to alter these settings and messing around with photos and looking all of them.

I don't want to use third party apps from locking all the things in their vault. So, I changed the photos privacy sharing settings to "no one". That worked very well. Fortunately none of my friends know how to operate mac and that is fine until now, but if they find out they would easily change the settings because they know my login password.

So, is there anyway that I can use a different password for change settings and all other stuff.

Thank you 🙂 🙂

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Oct 3, 2015 7:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2015 9:00 PM

Give each regular user of the computer his or her own user account and enable fast user switching.

For temporary users, enable guest logins. Any files created in the guest account will be deleted automatically when the user logs out. Note: If you’ve activated “Find My Mac” or FileVault, then you can’t enable the Guest account. The “Guest User” login created by “Find My Mac” is not a real account and only allows access to Safari.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 3, 2015 9:00 PM in response to cnu swiss

Give each regular user of the computer his or her own user account and enable fast user switching.

For temporary users, enable guest logins. Any files created in the guest account will be deleted automatically when the user logs out. Note: If you’ve activated “Find My Mac” or FileVault, then you can’t enable the Guest account. The “Guest User” login created by “Find My Mac” is not a real account and only allows access to Safari.

Different Password for system wide Preferences?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.