Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where did "Reset Safari" go?

I just updated Safari (9.0) and I see that "Reset Safari" is gone. Only "Clear History" is left. Does it mean that I have to go to Preferences and other menus to remove cookies and empty caches? Is there a shortcut that replaces "Reset Safari"?

The old "Reset Safari" had: clear history, reset top sites, reset location warnings, remove all web site data, clear downloads list, and close all safari windows. You could check/uncheck each box. I wonder what was wrong with that and how having to go multiple places is good. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Oct 3, 2015 7:02 PM

9 replies

Oct 8, 2017 9:23 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

That's stupid! Of course we are missing something! Assuming there is a way to manually do everything on the "reset safari" list, we still lose the ergonomic option of doing it with a quick few clicks. Now, all I can do is clear the caches, delete the history, and remove website data manually. I used that feature every day, and now I'm not sure how accomplish the other items on that "reset safari list." I really want to go back to the older OS, but I need the new one; because, I have to be able to use Microsoft Office on my mac for school. How do I accomplish the other items on that list?

Oct 3, 2015 10:26 PM in response to unixnerd09

You're not missing anything. Apple removed, "Reset Safari" ...

From your Safari menu bar click Safari > Preferences then select the Privacy tab then click: Remove All Website Data

That should do in lieu of a reset.

As far as emptying the cache, go back to Safari > Preferences. The time select the Advanced tab then select: Show Develop menu in menu bar

Now you should see Develop between Bookmarks and Window in the menu bar.

Click Develop > Empty Caches

Oct 4, 2015 6:42 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

Thank you but that's exactly what I've been talking about. Three actions instead of one. However, I see just realized that Safari->Clear History or History->Clear History actually warns it removes everything. Hope empty caches included, I have to check. The download list still and top sites are still handled separately, under Preferences->General, but thats ok, I guess.

User uploaded file

Mar 30, 2016 9:56 AM in response to unixnerd09

This is what Apple does with just about everything. (How is a little colored dot 300 pixels to the right of a file name in list view better than what we had before?)

It should be noted that Firefox doesn't have an easy way either. You have to go to Preferences > advanced to clear things out. At least Safari gives you the option of turning on the Developer window and clearing / disabling the cache from there.

For me, El Capitan creates some serious productivity hits so what I have done is this: I took my Mountain Lion startup drive - on my Mac Pro tower - (complete with tons of installed apps and the settings the way I like them) and cloned it using Drive Genius. I then upgraded one of the two to El Capitan. I then restarted from my Mountain Lion drive, took my copy of Parallels Desktop and created an OS X volume. I moved my virtual machines to my El Capitan drive and booted off this drive.

(The following part is a hassle, but Parallels doesn't support direct OS X migration from a hard drive attached to the Mac.) I then put the ML volume in an external enclosure, attached this to my other Mac (a laptop) and connected the two using an Ethernet cable and fired up Migration Assistant on both machines. Working from my Parallels ML volume, I migrated everything from the ML drive attached to the laptop. I also set up the ML virtual machine to share my main data drive, which I use for all my projects and for storage.

That was a huge headache but now I can run both El Capitan and my fully loaded Mountain Lion virtual machine (including my older version of Safari, with the reset function) side-by-side and switch back and forth without a hiccup. Frankly, I still handle my email from the ML virtual machine because of bugs with the new version of Apple Mail. Once the bugs are worked out, I will drag my email content between volumes for parity.

Mar 30, 2016 1:43 PM in response to unixnerd09

The loss of Reset Safari (fully checked) provided far more sense of security than the current Clear History (fully checked), and the option+command+E (empty cache). When the latter two are complete, the current web page continues to function as though nothing happened. I now hold the shift key down when starting Safari from a previous session, and repeat Clear History and Cache just for self-assurance.

Apple Engineering is clueless about the user side of the fence.

Mar 31, 2016 6:20 AM in response to unixnerd09

Important note:

Apple has recently released a "technical preview" of the next version of Safari, which can be accessed by signing up as a developer, with updates being available through the App Store. It includes a feedback function. If we want Apple to restore the reset function, sending feedback in this way might make a difference.

Where did "Reset Safari" go?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.