Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I use my Airport Express as a personal hotspot in public areas?

I was told that as long as you have an ethernet cable and plug, you can hook up your Express to be a personal hotspot when you go out to cafes and such. I tried this and it didn't work. What am I doing wrong?

AirPort Express 802.11n (2nd generation), Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Oct 3, 2015 9:00 PM

11 replies

Oct 18, 2015 5:33 PM in response to soondoboo

Your profile indicates that you are using an older operating system OS X (10.6.3) on your Mac.

Is that still current? If not, what operating system is now installed on your Mac?......or.....are you using an iOS device like the iPhone or iPad to set things up?

If you do not know what operating system that you have installed on your Mac, click on the Apple icon in the upper left corner of the screen, then click About This Mac and post back with the OS X Version number that you see there.

I assume that the AirPort Express is still in its new, out of the box factory default settings, correct? If not, you need to perform a Hard Reset on the AirPort Express by powering it up for a minute or two, then holding in the reset button on the back of the device for 7-8 seconds, then releasing the reset button and allowing a full minute for the AirPort Express to restart to a slow, blinking amber light status.

User uploaded file

Oct 18, 2015 8:24 PM in response to soondoboo

Connect the Ethernet cable from the wall port to the WAN "O" port on the AirPort Express

Click the WiFi icon at the top of the Mac's screen and look for a listing of New AirPort Base Station. Just below that, click directly on AirPort Express.

User uploaded file

That will get the setup "wizard" running. After a few seconds, you will see a screen that looks like this:

User uploaded file

Type in a name that you want to call the wireless network

Type in a name that you want to call the AirPort Express

Type in a password

Verify the password

Click Next

When you see the message of Setup Complete, click Done. That's it.

How can I use my Airport Express as a personal hotspot in public areas?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.