Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iWork compatible with MS Office for Mac files?

I lost the product key for MS Office for Mac and refuse to pay a ransom to get it back. Will iWork be able to use the *.docx and *.xlsx files I created with MS Office?

Posted on Oct 3, 2015 7:54 PM

4 replies

Oct 3, 2015 9:28 PM in response to Peki

No Pages, Numbers, or Keynote application is a clone of their MS Office counterparts. They will open your Mac MS Office documents, with the caveat that the documents are not opened or edited in their native document format. If these documents came from Office 2016 for Mac, they may contain some features/formatting unique to Office 2013 that Apple's applications do not support.

If you have a product key, then you also should be able to produce a proof of purchase that should help you get that Office license key back without added expense.

Oct 3, 2015 9:34 PM in response to VikingOSX

Unfortunately, the product key got lost in a huge downsizing and cross-country move. When I restored my data to a new HDD on my MacBook Pro, everything went smoothly until I got to MS Office for Mac. I got a popup that gave me three options: 1. give 'em the product key; 2. Buy the product again ($140 for a second purchase!); or 3. Look at the files I can no longer use. It also messed up Libre Office, which would be the go-to app if I'm unable to revive MS Office for Mac. I'm dead in the water--easy prey for Microsoft.

iWork compatible with MS Office for Mac files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.