Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost Contacts after iOS 9 Update

Has anyone else lost all of their contacts after the iOS 9 update?

Anyone found a way to get your contacts back?

iPhone 4s (8GB), iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 3, 2015 7:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2015 8:05 PM

I have not. Are these contacts in your Mail account? if so try resetting your Mail Account and system by following these steps (please do not skip any steps).

First close your Mail App completely from the multitasking window by double clicking the Home button and swiping up the Mail preview pane up until it disappears from the screen. You may have to look for the Mail pane by scrawling to the left as there may be other panes there from other apps. Then go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > locate your email provider and click on the account. Then on the next page Delete Account. Then do a forced restart. Hold down the Home and Wake/Sleep buttons at the same time for about 15-20 seconds until the Apple logo appears. Ignore the "Slide to power off" text if it comes up. You will not lose anything. Then go back to Settings > Mail… and add the account again.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 3, 2015 8:05 PM in response to UnhappyWithApple77

I have not. Are these contacts in your Mail account? if so try resetting your Mail Account and system by following these steps (please do not skip any steps).

First close your Mail App completely from the multitasking window by double clicking the Home button and swiping up the Mail preview pane up until it disappears from the screen. You may have to look for the Mail pane by scrawling to the left as there may be other panes there from other apps. Then go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > locate your email provider and click on the account. Then on the next page Delete Account. Then do a forced restart. Hold down the Home and Wake/Sleep buttons at the same time for about 15-20 seconds until the Apple logo appears. Ignore the "Slide to power off" text if it comes up. You will not lose anything. Then go back to Settings > Mail… and add the account again.

Oct 6, 2015 10:48 PM in response to UnhappyWithApple77

Thanks for the reply, elcpu! But I don't use my phone for email at all (I have a work phone for that). The only place my contacts were located was saved directly in the phone - no iCloud and no iTunes. I did a Google search and it seems quite a few others have this same problem although no one has yet seemed to come up with a solution on how to retrieve the lost contacts 😟

Oct 7, 2015 5:02 AM in response to UnhappyWithApple77

UnhappyWithApple77 wrote:

Thanks for the reply, elcpu! But I don't use my phone for email at all (I have a work phone for that). The only place my contacts were located was saved directly in the phone - no iCloud and no iTunes. I did a Google search and it seems quite a few others have this same problem although no one has yet seemed to come up with a solution on how to retrieve the lost contacts 😟

I hesitate to say this but one should always have a backup, all man made devices act up from time to time and a backup is the only insurance. You may have an iCloud backup by default, iPhones do so generally unless you turned that feature off. Mine backs up to iCloud automatically nearly everyday at no cost to me as the 5 GBs that one gets for free is more than sufficient for my needs. The article below may be of help... Good luck.

http://www.imore.com/how-restore-contacts-icloud-your-iphone-or-ipad

Lost Contacts after iOS 9 Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.