Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should I upgrade my RAM and HDD in my Macbook mid 2010 or buy a new mac?

I'm stuck in the pros and cons deciding whether or not I should upgrade my RAM and HDD in my Macbook mid-2010 or buy a new one.

I'm going off to college in a year and I'm unsure of whether my lil' guy will make it for the next 4 years.

Also, my battery life has completely disintegrated.

The only thing that's stopping me right now is $$$ and my parents...

MacBook, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Oct 3, 2015 8:01 PM

4 replies

Oct 4, 2015 8:22 PM in response to shawnnacab

Upgrading your present computer is likely more economical and there may be other advantages in sticking with old hardware in terms of still having things Apple has decided you no longer need such as an ethernet socket or optical drive. I have posted several times about this in this forum over the past couple of days and do not really want to type it all in again. Look for similar topics about whether or not to upgrade or buy new.

Another poster recommends a SSD. Getting one depends upon how you use your computer. They are faster for booting and starting applications. Energy saving are better. However, unless you are prepared to spend quite a substantial amount of money it is quite possible any affordable SSD could be smaller than your present hard drive and most people can't accept that. I suggest you read reviews about SSDs. They are good for some things but not necessarily better than old style HDDs for other types of use.

Oct 4, 2015 8:23 PM in response to shawnnacab

Upgrading your present computer is likely more economical and there may be other advantages in sticking with old hardware in terms of still having things Apple has decided you no longer need such as an ethernet socket or optical drive. I have posted several times about this in this forum over the past couple of days and do not really want to type it all in again. Look for similar topics about whether or not to upgrade or buy new.

Another poster recommends a SSD. Getting one depends upon how you use your computer. They are faster for booting and starting applications. Energy saving are better. However, unless you are prepared to spend quite a substantial amount of money it is quite possible any affordable SSD could be smaller than your present hard drive and most people can't accept that. I suggest you read reviews about SSDs. They are good for some things but not necessarily better than old style HDDs for other types of use.

Should I upgrade my RAM and HDD in my Macbook mid 2010 or buy a new mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.