Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Superdrive not working with El Capitan

Just upgraded to El Capitan on MacBook Air 11 inch and my UsB SuperDrive has stopped working ! Does not get recognized ? Anyone else have this problem ? Performed the SMC reset and all. Still no joy 😟

MacBook Air (11-inch Mid 2013), OS X El Capitan (10.11), USB Superdrive

Posted on Oct 3, 2015 9:28 PM

21 replies

Oct 6, 2015 11:31 AM in response to homifromdubai

I have this issue too on a Macbook Air late 2010. I needed to reinstall Win7 Pro on my bootcamp partition. Went to make an ISO file to reinstall Win7 Pro on my bootcamp partition and found the superdrive wasn't working any more on the Air. I was just using it yesterday on my iMac...also with running El Capitan.

I plug the drive in either right or left USB ports, doesn't matter, and drive never shows in Finder. The drive makes the usual electro-mechanical click when I plug it in, so its getting power. It won't accept disks and never shows in finder.

Oct 16, 2015 8:14 PM in response to ChuckHMB

I spent some hours on the phone with Apple about this yesterday and eventually was put through to a "product expert" who finally conceded that there appeared to be a problem with El Capitan. Clearly, it is most inconvenient and in appropriate to have to restart your computer every time you wish to connect your usb super drive.

In addition, there is yet another problem with El Capitan. It is no longer is possible to delete a rewritable disk using Disk Utility.

Hopefully these further difficulties with El Capitan also will be rectified promptly by Apple.

Nov 4, 2015 8:20 AM in response to homifromdubai

Hello Apple,

I have a Macbook Pro Retina ( Late 2013). I upgraded from Yosemite to El Capitan and then downloaded an update on Oct 21, 2015. My Apple USB Super Drive does not work in either USB ports I am a dental educator and this is a HUGE problem for me! Please fix ASAP! I have been checking everyday for updates since Oct 21. How do you uninstall and put Yosemite back on?

Thanks

Nov 4, 2015 11:10 AM in response to stevenfromcalifornia

Hi there, As above I had the same problem. Make sure you have a complete backup before you do anything. I did have success with plugging in the Superdrive and restarting the computer. However, I decided it was time to do a clean install of the system software. An apple technician walked me through it. One can migrate the documents, apps and so on after. After my clean install it is a plug and play again. Not sure if this helps your specific case... but this is what I did.

Nov 23, 2015 1:31 AM in response to homifromdubai

Hi All, I was also having the same issue since upgrading to El Capitan

A solution that works for me is to use the plist modification technique. Note: El Capitan has a newer level of system file protection, so you first need to disable System Integrity Protection

Disable SIP

1) Print these steps so you can know the commands

2) Restart into Recovery disk by holding command and R while starting up

3) From the Utilities menu open Terminal

4) Type csrutil disable

5) Shut down

Modify plist file

6) In the finder use Go menu to go to

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/

7) Copy the file com.apple.Boot.plist to your desktop or someplace where you easily locate it.

8) Rename it ORIGINALcom.apple.Boot.plist This way in case you need the original file, you can restore it back to com.apple.Boot.plist and put it back

9) Again, copy the file com.apple.Boot.plist to your desktop or someplace where you easily locate it.

10) Open it in text edit and change the text to add <string>mbasd=1</string>

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>mbasd=1</string>

</dict>

</plist>

11) Save new file plist file

12) Drag com.apple.Boot.plist into /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/

13) Type administrator password to make changes

14) Restart to have boot change take effect

Enable SIP

15) Restart into Recovery disk by holding command and R while starting up

16) From the Utilities menu open Terminal

17) Type csrutil enable

18) Shut down

DONE! Congratulations 🙂

References

http://www.hardturm.ch/luz/2011/10/how-to-make-the-macbook-air-superdrive-work-w ith-any-mac/comment-page-12/

http://osxdaily.com/2015/10/05/disable-rootless-system-integrity-protection-mac- os-x/

Dec 6, 2015 7:31 AM in response to homifromdubai

I've got a strange variant of this problem. Macbook Pro 15" 2011 w/ internal superdrive. After upgrading to El Capitan, music CDs no longer appear in Finder and iTunes. I can insert and eject the CDs. Also, I'm running VMWare Vusion w/ Windows 10, and Windows 10 can see\play\rip the CDs. So, clearly the drive is functional and Windows\VMware drivers can operate the superdrive, but not El Capitan.

Any suggestions?

Superdrive not working with El Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.