Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro chimes then displays a folder with a question mark inside, will not boot to restore disk

I have an older 15" MBP 2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo (model A1150) w/2 GB RAM, which was running OS 10.6.8. I accidentally (like anyone drops their computer on purpose!) let it drop about two feet onto a hardwood floor a couple of days ago. Not sure if that's the root of the problem - but not immediately - more like the next day, it would not boot up normally from sleep or restart. Regardless of WHATEVER I've tried, it still boots to a folder with a question mark inside...

So far I have tried: 1) Resetting the PMU and the PRAM, 2) B/c it was dropped, I took apart the computer to make sure that all the connections, especially to the HDD were fine and all seemed good there, 3) Tried rebooting in 'Safe' mode. No go, same annoying question mark, 4) Tried rebooting from the Snow Leopard disc hoping to use Utilities to repair the disc and/or permissions. No go - it keep spitting out the dang disc! (This also may have to do w/the optical drive which seems a bit dicey - I got this computer from a friend on the cheap and I'm still discovering its "quirks".) I was next going to try to swap Sata HDDs with my Macbook (which I just freshly backed-up for just this purpose) but that's a lot of work and I'm worried that if this is a motherboard issue and NOT an issue with a dead hard drive in the MBP, that I will fry my Macbook's hard drive which would be a very bad thing, obviously...Fyi, like many MBPs this one runs hot and I replaced both fans AND still had to download a freeware program called FMC Fan Control which has been really great in keeping the fans going more or less at top speed to keep this computer cool enough, so I honestly don't think this was a heat issue - but who knows?

Does anyone have any more input/suggestions/help to offer please? Is the motherboard toast?? I've obviously spent Waaaaayyyy too much time on this already, but shucks! I can't afford a new MBP! Thanks in advance to anyone with ANY help!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 3, 2015 10:12 PM

9 replies

Oct 3, 2015 10:20 PM in response to Liane

Oh yeah, I forgot... I also tried putting the MBP into Target Disk Mode. That worked, I held down the 'T' key upon start-up and it was definitely in TDM, but I attached it by firewire to TWO different working computers and the hard drive in the MBP would NOT mount... May I just say... Aaaaarrrrghhhhh!!?? Thanks!

Oct 4, 2015 9:26 AM in response to leroydouglas

Thanks for the input leroydouglas, but I did already find this page and all of its instructions are based on having "Disk Recovery" which is only available in Lion or later, unfortunately (though I did try to boot from Command + R anyway just for the heck of it... Nothing, but the flashing question mark inside the folder again).

I think rather than putting the HD from my functioning MacBook at risk by installing it into the MBP, I will reverse that and put the HD from the MBP into the MacBook and try to repair the disk that way, or failing that, at least re-install Snow Leopard from an optical drive that I know is working. It's still a lot of work, but I don't know what else to do at this point having tried everything I've seen online (and even buggering the top case of the MBP in the process b/c I became so impatient taking it apart!).

Does anyone have any other suggestions, please? Thanks in advance...

Oct 4, 2015 9:45 PM in response to leroydouglas

Yes, please see #4 of my original post. I did try restarting the MacBook Pro with the original Snow Leopard disc by holding down the C key @ start-up. I had hoped to either repair the disc and permissions from First Aid in Utilities as you say, or failing that, to re-install the OS. But as I said, either b/c the optical drive is shot too, or b/c of something being wrong with the HD itself(?) it didn't work. After spinning a bit the disc would just eject... repeatedly. Tx anyway.

Macbook Pro chimes then displays a folder with a question mark inside, will not boot to restore disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.