Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Icon of time machine on the desktop

Hello,

I have updated to El Capitan in two iMacs. All went very well. One thing has been changed, and I wonder if it is with others as well.

In 10.10 the icon of the Time Machine disk on my desktop was as followed:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8584fygyce1ymmj/Screen%20Shot%202015-10-02%20at%2012.3 2.17.png?dl=0

But now, in the two Macs, the icon of the Time Machine external disk on the desktop in both Macs remain yellow as it is and as follow:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pymzxeco3dpfk7h/Screen%20Shot%202015-10-02%20at%2012.3 2.02.png?dl=0

In the Time machine software the two icons there are as it was always:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8b7gdz4xu1s7ptt/Screen%20Shot%202015-10-03%20at%2018.4 2.23.png?dl=0

My question:

Is this is the normal case or something went wrong in my upgrade process.

What and where should I configure?

Thanks for your assistance

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), iMac mid 2015 with El Capitain

Posted on Oct 3, 2015 10:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 4:43 PM

I have this "issue" too but it's not serious. If you do a "Get Info" on the drive you'll find that the icon "Preview" is the correct Time Machine icon. I've found going into "Preferences" under the "Finder" menu item and under the "General" tab that if you uncheck "External Drives" and then check it again the drive icon will be updated.

What the OS used to do was update the icon after the first Time Machine backup after power up, but it seems that this is not happening now (at least for us, for others it may be working as intended).

I don't think anything has gone wrong, just double check that the Time Machine is doing the backups by clicking on the Time Machine task icon or by checking System Properties or you can even check in the System.Log via the Console program (search for backupd). As long as your data is being backed up then you are ok.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 4, 2015 4:43 PM in response to cooprik

I have this "issue" too but it's not serious. If you do a "Get Info" on the drive you'll find that the icon "Preview" is the correct Time Machine icon. I've found going into "Preferences" under the "Finder" menu item and under the "General" tab that if you uncheck "External Drives" and then check it again the drive icon will be updated.

What the OS used to do was update the icon after the first Time Machine backup after power up, but it seems that this is not happening now (at least for us, for others it may be working as intended).

I don't think anything has gone wrong, just double check that the Time Machine is doing the backups by clicking on the Time Machine task icon or by checking System Properties or you can even check in the System.Log via the Console program (search for backupd). As long as your data is being backed up then you are ok.

Icon of time machine on the desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.