Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External monitor / display screen tear and flicker after updating to OS X 10.11 El Capitan (connecting via HDMI and VGA)

Hi All,

I've been looking all over the web for similar problems but haven't yet been able to find a solution to this:

I have a MacBook Pro Early 2011 13 inch that I use to plug into my TV (using HDMI with thunderbolt adapter) and also to my external monitor (using VGA to Mini DisplayPort adapter).

Since updating to the much anticipated OS X 10.11 El Capitan, I've been having issues with both of these external monitors and it's driving me nuts!! The main problem is that the external monitors are no longer able to display correctly at the maximum / recommended resolutions (which are both 1920 x 1080). When I choose this resolution, I get the following results:

On LED TV connected via HDMI: intermittent short bursts of flickering with static noise

On External Monitor connected via D-sub: violent intermittent screen tears occuring from right to left, along with occasional horizontal white flickering 1-pixel lines. The screen tears are very sudden and move very slightly, and happens at least 30 times a minute at random intervals. The screen will even sometimes go completely black for 1-2 seconds.

Failed Fix Attempts

I've reset the PRAM, reset SMC, installed a new SMC firmware from theFirmware updates page for my MacBook, and nothing has worked.

---

The problem is that prior to the OS X 10.11 update, I didn't have this issue at all. External monitors connected properly and I was able to use the highest / recommended resolution for each monitor.

I've noticed that reducing the screens to a lower resolution reduces the screen flicker/tear but doesn't completely get rid of the problem.

Is anyone else having a similar problem?? Really would love some help here please!

Posted on Oct 3, 2015 10:17 PM

2 replies

Dec 1, 2015 6:13 AM in response to readyfire

Hello readyfire,

did you solve this problem already?

I have maybe the same troubles:

Old Mini Late 2009 + Yosemite + Apple Mini DP to VGA + Cable + 1600x1200 TFT works fine.

Newer Mini Late 2012 + El Capitan + same Apple Mini DP to VGA + Same Cable + Same 1600x1200 TFT works only at 1100x864 resolution.

Cheers,

csp71

External monitor / display screen tear and flicker after updating to OS X 10.11 El Capitan (connecting via HDMI and VGA)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.