Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Facetime camera issues

I have a Macbook Pro Retina (Late 2013), 2.4 Ghz Intel Core i5 processor, 16 GB DDR3.

For whatever reason, there are times where my FaceTime camera lags terribly. There are also times where it works just fine. Has anybody experienced this issue? And if so, do you have any suggestions on how I can fix this?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 3, 2015 10:21 PM

5 replies

Oct 4, 2015 9:30 AM in response to Klpeeb

Klpeeb wrote:... Has anybody experienced this issue?...

Not I.

Klpeeb wrote: ... suggestions on how I can fix this?

Likely a problem with internet speed (if restarting modem, router, and Mac, test with speediest.net, ask ISP for help if necessary), insufficient bandwidth (fix is buy premium speed), or load (disconnect other devices from your wireless network while using FT.)

Alternatively, consider Troubleshooting FaceTime.

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

Mac OSX 10.10.5

Oct 19, 2015 9:32 AM in response to Klpeeb

Klpeeb wrote:.... The internet isn't the issue.

Having verified that you're getting the speedtest.net results your FIOS connection charges you, you have certainly proven that your internet service, modem, and router/WAP, if applicable, are the issue.

You will need to look at possible reasons that Mac itself can run slow:

OS X El Capitan: If your Mac runs slowly

OS X El Capitan: If graphics-intensive tasks slow down your Mac

• OS X El Capitan: If Time Machine is slow

Mac OSX 10.11

Oct 20, 2015 1:18 PM in response to Klpeeb

Klpeeb wrote: The internet is not the case here...

I erroneously omitted the word "not" in my previous post. The first sentence of my second response should have read:

Having verified that you're getting the speedtest.net results your FIOS connection charges you, you have certainly proven that your internet service, modem, and router/WAP, if applicable, are NOT the issue.

Klpeeb wrote:... I just want to know why my FaceTime camera lags from time to time...

Because something is wrong. You will need to troubleshoot to find out what is wrong so you can know what must be fixed.

Klpeeb wrote: ... and if there's a solution.

Yes. There is a solution.

Start your troubleshooting with these possible reasons that Mac itself can run slow:

OS X El Capitan: If your Mac runs slowly

OS X El Capitan: If graphics-intensive tasks slow down your Mac

• OS X El Capitan: If Time Machine is slow

If you cannot find the trouble on your own, or if you simply do not have the time to devote to the troubleshooting process, contact Apple or an Apple-Authorized Service Provider to have your Mac professionally serviced. Be sure to backup your Mac and deauthorize iTunes before tendering it for service.

Mac OSX 10.11

Facetime camera issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.