Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Extremely slow connections to iTunes and Mac App stores

After reading through a few Q&A's I still haven't found any official response from Apple but if there is one I'd love the link.

I'm having the exact same problem in Australia in relation to fixing the shockingly slow connection speeds to both iTunes and the Mac App Store. I have tried 3 different ISP's my home fibre @100 Mbps which is by far the worst and 2 different mobile broadband networks which are 4G and work touch faster.

I Have seen some absolutely crazy and extremely dangerous information being handed around but I do believe this is a software bug, if not then please point me in the right direction.

My router/modem does not need resetting

I have signed in and out of iTunes, Mac App and my Apple ID and have added extra information that was asked for

I'm horrified that people are blindly entering DNS servers to correct this problem, and my words of advice below to one thread I came across as to just do not do it

What on earth makes anyone think that they should have to change their DNS servers. I am not using open DNS and did anyone bother to check just what DNS servers you have just entered into your home NETWORK??? Seriously that's like leaving the front door to your house wide open on purpose for anyone to see and driving off to work all day. I'm not implying that the information is bad nor am I attacking the person who suggested them. It's just that no one should have to do this at all in the first place. DId anyone bother to use reverse IP look up to see what they've entered into their router/modem? They are open DNS in the UK, now that is not always a bad thing but once again this should not be happening and you should never just enter DNS servers off a forum.

APPLE THIS IS STOPPING US FROM BUYING PRODUCTS FROM ITUNES AND THE MAC APP STORE, they time out a lot because it's so slow.

This is affecting my MBP, iPad Air 2 and my iPhone 5s and all 3 were tested with the 3 different ISP's, I honestly think it's a bug that began around iOS 8.3 or 8.4 and has now become crippling for some to the point that El Captain took over 6 hrs to download @100 Mbps.

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X El Capitan (10.11), iOS on iPad Air 2, iPhone 5s

Posted on Oct 3, 2015 11:38 PM

7 replies

Oct 4, 2015 12:13 AM in response to cactus70

The only kind of official answer from Apple would be an update. The introduction of El Capitan and iOS9 so close together is causing problems in associated areas of the system, as well as, in some cases, the system failing to respond at all. You don't actually say so, but can we believe your troubles have only started since your El Capitan download.

Shot in the dark; have you checked your Activity monitor > system memory > pageouts? Is there a drain on your memory resourses somewhere?

Oct 4, 2015 3:59 AM in response to seventy one

Still thinking about your problem. I know the suggestion of checking activity monitor would not have applied all round but when three different devices (all using your router) fail ... it does point to the router in some way. You don't say if any other aspect of your devices is failing; like not being able to browse normally or other web pages failing.

Off topic. Great performance by the Aussies last night ... England just fell apart.

Oct 4, 2015 4:55 AM in response to seventy one

Thanks seventy one for your response but no, it began way before El Captain and iOS9.

I Also used three different routers with 3 different ISP. So began with Mavericks and iOS 8.4 or 8.3. I took my MBP to friends houses and checked to make sure but it only happens with iTunes and the Mac App Store, occasionally it will happen with other sites too but not very often

I have no problems browsing and usually use Safari 99% of the time.

I do have issues with streaming on Netflix and YouTube at times though. I have a direct fibre to the house connection and 2 different 4G devices that both suffer from the same problem even when they're taken off the home router.

The activity monitor strains heavily, usually from memory which I have 16GB of.

It's just bizarre.

Off topic. Great performance by the Aussies last night ... England just fell apart. Re: Cricket? I wasn't watching sorry 🙂

Thanks again.

Oct 4, 2015 5:58 AM in response to seventy one

It's not my ISP or router mate, I've tried 3 different ISP's at friends houses with my MBP and I have two different mobile broadband's from different ISP's so it's definitely not my router. It doesn't seem to matter which router or ISP I try, even though my home connection is 100Mbps down. I get slightly faster results from my 4G devices.

So when I'm at home my internet connection for browsing and downloading is fine, I do a lot of photography and video editing too and have no problem with my MAC. I have no problem downloading or upgrading my Adobe software which is usually huge and plug-in etc. If they came via the mac app store I'd be ripping my hair out. Final Cut Pro X updates are like having teeth drawn it takes so long.

If I download from Amazon, Adobe, hire a movie it's all fine, except for the occasional streaming problem from Netflix but that is relatively new here in Australia and I don't know if they put enough servers in place.

Unfortunately it's just iTunes and the mac app store with the exception of streaming VOD sometimes.
Off Topic: My state doesn't have a big rugby following, we're an ALF state 🙂

Extremely slow connections to iTunes and Mac App stores

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.