Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac doesn't boot after OS X El Capitan update

Hi everyone, today I downloaded the OS X El Capitan update, after installation my iMac has restarted but it has blocked on the grey progress bar at start up, I don't know how, I restarted it few times, but for two times I reached the login screen but it couldn't do login, infact it continue showing the loading cursor but doing nothing. Unfortunately I forgot to do a backup before installation, I tried to start iMac in recovery mode (with cmd + R) but nothing change, it continues showing the grey progress bar. I also tried to boot it disconnecting all devices but nothing changed. My iMac is a mid 2011 model with 4 gb of RAM, when I started installation I had about 20 gb of free disk space so I think that was enought. There is a way to restore it, with Yosemite or El Capitan, without lose my files?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Oct 3, 2015 11:20 PM

2 replies

Oct 3, 2015 11:30 PM in response to ryanj_93

El Capitan alone requires approximately 6GB's so 20GB's of free disk space won't work. That's cutting it too close. Boot in Safe Mode and delete as much data as you can to free up storage space.

Top left corner of your screen click the Apple  > Shut Down.

After your Mac shuts down, wait 10 seconds, then press the power button.

Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold down the Shift key. You should press the Shift key as soon as possible after you hear the startup tone, but not before.

Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple logo and progress indicator.

Once you are in Safe Mode delete data then go back to the Apple menu. From the drop down menu click: Restart

Then click your Apple menu icon top left in your screen. From the drop down menu click About This Mac > More Info > Storage

Make sure there's at least 15% free disk space before you try to upgrade to El Capitan and make sure to backup your important data prior to upgrading.

About Safe Mode

iMac doesn't boot after OS X El Capitan update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.