Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No distinction between [name]@me.com and [name]@icloud.com when creating family sharing

Hi,

I am setting up family sharing.

After adding the account [name]@me.com to the family I want now to add [name]@icloud.com. This is refused because I already have the earlier [name]@me.com.

It seems Apple does not fully distinguish the two different accounts while in all other aspects (e.g. buying extra icloud space, downloading applicaitons etc.) the two accounts are treated fully separately.

I do not want to loos either account and have now invested quite some time in this and would not like to loose this.

Who can help

rgds

Joost

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 12:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2015 7:02 PM

Where the text before the '@' is the same, @me.com and @icloud.com are the same thing and belong to the same account. You can't use them as separate logins to different accounts. If the text before the '@' is different then if the @icloud.com one is an alias to the @me.com account it cannot be used as a login or a separate account. If it is not an alias then it's a completely separate account with its own login and facilities.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 5, 2015 7:02 PM in response to Joost L

Where the text before the '@' is the same, @me.com and @icloud.com are the same thing and belong to the same account. You can't use them as separate logins to different accounts. If the text before the '@' is different then if the @icloud.com one is an alias to the @me.com account it cannot be used as a login or a separate account. If it is not an alias then it's a completely separate account with its own login and facilities.

Oct 5, 2015 7:05 PM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Roger and Winston,

Thanks for explanation.

I understand that [name]@Icloud.com and [name]@me.com are aliases. Unfortunately Apple does not seem to treat them completely similar.

Purchases (in this case storage space on ICloud) are available to [name]@icloud.com but not to the supposedly equal [name]@me.com.

Is there anything you can suggest to make the two accounts fully overlap ?

No distinction between [name]@me.com and [name]@icloud.com when creating family sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.