Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to reclaim my music from ATV 1st gen?

I've had a 1st gen Apple TV for, well, a while, but it was in storage for a few years and I've since been using a 3rd gen ATV. The ATV1 held all my iTunes music, and when it went to storage I started again with iTunes on my laptop, streaming to my ATV3. As that got too large, I moved it to a NAS drive, still streaming to ATV3 via iOS.

Now I've got my ATV1 back, and all my old music is there, whispering "Paul, help me. Let me be free."

So how do I get it? My basic idea was to move or hide the current library then start iTunes again and point it to the ATV1. iTunes can see the ATV, but I get no settings or anything, and can't access the music. The music is still playable - I can access it with the remote or iPhone - if I don't get it off soon the HD's going to fail at some stage. Any thoughts?

Upgraded mid-2009 MacBook Pro running Yosemite. iTunes 12. iPhones, iPads iOS9. Synology NAS running DSM 5.2.

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 12:28 AM

5 replies

Oct 4, 2015 4:17 PM in response to Winston Churchill

Winston,

Not what I expected from you. What happened to never surrender?

Of course that is what I'm trying to do, but that would be too convenient for us consumers so Apple has not made it possible. Not their finest hour. Finest hour - you can use that if you like. Remember, ATV1 was launched before iCloud, iTunes Match and Apple Music, so any music loaded from CD onto iTunes will only last as long as the mechanical parts of a hard drive.

What I need to do is re-establish ATV1 as my iTunes library, match it on iTunes Match, consolidate it to my NAS drive and, I don't know, probably switch to Plex or something 'cause I'm over Apple and miss the old days when everything just worked.

Anyone?

How to reclaim my music from ATV 1st gen?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.