Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Maxing out external monitors on iMac 21" 2014

Hello all,

I have recently filled up my iMacs mini display ports with 2 external monitors. However I want to push the limit and connect monitors through USB as well.

I'm aware that according to apple support docs only 2 external monitors are supported as is stated here:iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2014) - Technical Specifications

However I know OS X itself supports more then 2 external monitors. I have seen an iMac with 3 external monitors! I have also seen a mac mini with 6 external monitors! Both without any modified hardware.

My plan is to use the remaining 4 usb ports to plug in external monitors (via usb to vga)

Hopefully that will give me 6 external monitors total. I'm just hoping that Intel graphics card 5000 can handle it.

Anything else I'm missing? Any reason my plan wont work?

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 12:46 AM

There are no replies.

Maxing out external monitors on iMac 21" 2014

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.