Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook pro 17 inch 2009 SDD replacement?

Hi there,

I have a 17 inch macbook pro purchased in June 2009. My optical drive (DVD) hasn't worked for ages but I never use it to I didn't care.

My hard drive is now messed up. I have a dual boot system and I can boot into windows, but booting in to apple only works about 1 out of 5 tries (just hangs with grey apple screen) and when it does work it takes about 6 or 7 minute to reach the desktop. I used HD utilities and it told me my drive had errors and to boot from an optical drive to fix it.

I can't boot from my optical drive because my optical drive doesn't work. I would buy a new laptop if they made 17 inch but they don't. I want to replace my hard drive. I'm pretty sure this model accepts SDD hard drives (my current drive is not SDD)

Is there a web site where I can enter the serial number of my laptop and order the right SDD hard drive replacement?

Also - how do I check if my fans are working properly?

Is there a way to fix HD errors without booting from an optical drive?

Thanks guys ...

Steve

MacBook Pro (17-inch Mid 2009), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 2:28 AM

1 reply

Oct 4, 2015 3:23 AM in response to stevewild

stevewild wrote:

Is there a web site where I can enter the serial number of my laptop and order the right SDD hard drive replacement?

Any SSD with a 2.5" form factor will be compatible with your MBP. OWC and Crucial SSDs seem to be good choices but stay away from Samsung SSDs. Too many problems have been reported on these forums with Samsung SSDs.

Also - how do I check if my fans are working properly?

Open the MBP and see if there is dust and debris inside. If so, clean it out. You can also run an Apple Hardware Test. It does a check on the fans.

Is there a way to fix HD errors without booting from an optical drive?

No.

Ciao.

Macbook pro 17 inch 2009 SDD replacement?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.