Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SSD drive refuses to show up

I have a macbook pro 13' mid 2012 model which was running OS X Yosemite, I have replaced the optical drive recently with an SSD to expand my storage. I put in an SSD and made that my boot drive and everything was working well for a good month. As of today I noticed a large drop in performance so I did a reboot. The little wheel icon spun on the black screen to shutdown but it never finished. After a manual reset the mac would never boot. So I pulled out my SSD and it finally booted to recovery where I installed OS X to a partition on my regular hard drive. After that I began to run tests on to see if I could find life in my SSD. I tried SATA to USB, swapping internal SATA connections with the other internal hard drive and yielded no results. Disk Utility will only recognize the HDD but not the SSD. I did some only research and found nothing useful. Could it be that my SSD has kicked the bucket or has something gone wrong. The HDD works in both SATA slots so that can't be the issue. When I put the SSD back in and boot, it just sits there on a black screen for a good few moments then finally boots through the HDD. What do I do from here?

tl;dr

Had an SSD running great as boot drive, rebooted mac after sluggish behavior, Disk Utility won't recognize it at all. Possible drive failure?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), SSD

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 1:39 AM

1 reply

SSD drive refuses to show up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.