Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook pro Retina late 2013 strange display issue

Hi.

I have started having this strange issue with my Macbook Pro retina 13 inch Late 2013 model. A couple of weeks back, I booted it only to find a black screen (not grey), the keyboard seemed to lit up meaning it was booting without any display. I tried booting a couple of times again and display came back. Phew !!

A few days later, the same happened, this time the display refused to come back after half a dozen restarts. Display to external device (TV via HDMI) was working fine, and the system was booting, functioning normally. I reset SMC, then PRAM but no joy. I tried apple hardware test/diagnostics and it gave me following two error codes:

VFD001

VFD004

meaning "There may be an issue with the display."

My notebook is unfortunately out of warranty so no option for apple support. There is no official apple store where I am. I had it briefly checked from an apple authorized service and they said its display unit needs to be replaced. I took my machine back but the same night, the display seemed to woke-up from the dead - as if it never had an issue. Used it for a full day (even upgraded to EL Capitan!), ran Apple diagnostics, and no issues found !!! (reference code:ADP000). I was relieved until it gave up again. The screen seemed to freeze while I was working on a document and when I rebooted, the old behaviour came back ! i.e., no display on LCD but displays fine on external device. Since then, its very unpredictable. 1 out of 20 times when I open the lid (reboot/start), the display shows up on its own display, rest of the times, just pitch black screen.

I am puzzled what do I do in this situation. Do I need to get a new display now ?

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and Regards,

Arslan

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 3:56 AM

17 replies

Jan 20, 2017 9:24 PM in response to arslan77

V

FD002 on mine manage self healing

can connect to hdmi via safe mode

However I accidenly fix it by overheat the machine

Since reset nvram so when I close the lid it do not shutdown it stay in my backpack for 2 hour without ventilation and the LCD when back and functioning

I manage to repeat the same fix twice

Jul 31, 2017 12:23 PM in response to arslan77

Now its my turn!!! VFD004 / VFD001.

I have a late 2013 retina 13" and now my MBP it's in the repair but until now I don't now the price to fix it....maybe next week. I don't want to pay the price above ( more than $300 or 400 ), it's too expensive.😟😟 By the way, Im from Brazil and ( probably ) I have to pay more 100% fees!

Hey Apple, where are you????

Oct 6, 2015 10:17 AM in response to arslan77

arslan77 wrote:

Hi Elizer.

Unfortunately, I have not found a solution yet. I hope that this is a general issue with the Macbook pro retina 13 inch in 2013 models and apple issues a recall / replacement program for the effected customers. Please let me know if you come across a solution.

Thanks and Regards,

Arslan

As far as I know, there wasn’t any widespread display issues for 13” RETINA late 2013 models. So, don’t expect a recall from Apple.

I have got 13” retina late 2013 and it works like a charm.

Probably, you were unfortunate with a faulty display unit...😟

Oct 6, 2015 7:18 PM in response to arslan77

I actually have the same exact problem!!!

Screen is complete black - connect the macpro to an external display; works fine.

I checked if the cam works, and it does work fine, so I would rule out that it's a screen issue or a video card issue.

I have Late 2013 Retina Display model.

I took my mac pro to an apple store and a genius told me that they couldn't figure out what the issue is and it has to be shipped to a repair center for a total of $280 plus tax since my laptop is also out of warranty.

I was on a lengthy conversation today with one of the tech support at Apple whom was very understanding but did not offer any help other than "this quote was actually good for you.. "..

A screen of a premium product should not fail like this. That's not quality!!!😠😟

Oct 6, 2015 5:25 PM in response to arslan77

I actually have the same exact problem!!!

Screen is complete black - connect the macpro to an external display; works fine.

I checked if the cam works, and it does work fine, so I would rule out that it's a screen issue or a video card issue.

I have Late 2013 Retina Display model.

I took my mac pro to an apple store and a genius told me that they couldn't figure out what the issue is and it has to be shipped to a repair center for a total of $280 plus tax since my laptop is also out of warranty.

I was on a lengthy conversation today with one of the tech support at Apple whom was very understanding but did not offer any help other than "this quote was actually good for you.. "..

A screen of a premium product should not fail like this. That's not quality!!!😠😟

Mar 6, 2016 4:27 PM in response to arslan77

I had same issue. Would only boot in safe mode with external HDMI display. If your Mac is under warranty, I suggest taking to Apple Store if not then you can try this. open back cover and unplug display connector(Always unplug battery first). After connecting battery but not display, my Mac would boot in normal mode to an external display and everything worked fine. I proceeded to take the display off the Mac by disconnecting the 3 wifi antenna connections and camera connection. When I reconnected just the display and tested it, the Mac worked with the Retina display (not external display). I reconnected everything and Mac as back to normal....fixed. I am not positive but I think one of the wifi antenna connections was loose, or it was the camera connection not sure but my Mac is working again. Hope this helps.

Macbook pro Retina late 2013 strange display issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.