Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

el capitan disk utility doesn't want to make again my fusion drive

I have an imac 27 with a 3to fusion drive.

I wanted to make a clean install with el capitan on a usb key. With boot camp it didn't go very well, i lost the fusion drive.

Now i can see on disk utility an apple HDD and an apple SSD.

When i read forum it seems it should ask me if i wanted to make a fusion drive. But it does not.

What can i do. ? I dont want to have two separate drive on my system.

User uploaded file

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 3:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2015 7:55 AM

There is a work around for this:

NB. Ensure your data is backed up first as repairing your fusion drive will erase all data.

Boot into network recovery mode (hold cmd option R) while booting (the start up screen will have a globe logo instead of an apple logo). It takes a while to load network recovery mode depending on your internet connection. Once done you'll be presented with the recovery tools that shipped with your mac, including a version of disk utilities that will detect fusion drive errors and repair them (assuming your mac didn't ship with El Capitan that is).

Apple really need to address this (fusion drive repair) omission in El Capitan's Disk Utilities. Time to fill in another Apple feedback form....

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2015 7:55 AM in response to Manuparis

There is a work around for this:

NB. Ensure your data is backed up first as repairing your fusion drive will erase all data.

Boot into network recovery mode (hold cmd option R) while booting (the start up screen will have a globe logo instead of an apple logo). It takes a while to load network recovery mode depending on your internet connection. Once done you'll be presented with the recovery tools that shipped with your mac, including a version of disk utilities that will detect fusion drive errors and repair them (assuming your mac didn't ship with El Capitan that is).

Apple really need to address this (fusion drive repair) omission in El Capitan's Disk Utilities. Time to fill in another Apple feedback form....

el capitan disk utility doesn't want to make again my fusion drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.