Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is Mountain still supported by Apple now that OS 10.11 is out? is out

Is Apple going to follow the same pattern of dropping support for a perfectly good os and countless users now? Does anyone know yet?

I already have two perfectly good 07 and 08 Macbooks in the house that have been more or less obsoleted by this policy. Sure I know just about anything that will run 10.8 can probably run os 10.10. And 10.10 has turn out to be excellent for the most part. It's just it seems an unnecessary burden for users of these older fine machines, that now have less than the best security from Apple. Sorry for whining about it. Thanks for listening. I'm kinda obsolete myself

Paul

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 4:44 AM

6 replies

Oct 5, 2015 6:33 AM in response to Lanny

Lanny, I think you are right. And thanks for the Computerworld article. Sure it would be nice if support would continue for the older OS. There are a few things I need or like 10.8 for until I find alternatives for. I am using 10.10 on this machine and try 10.11 on another. 10.11 has frozen a couple times but it’s new and I will work it out. It’s been a lot to keep up with.

Thanks Folks for the forum help over the years

You’re the best

Cheers

Oct 5, 2015 4:47 PM in response to Lanny

Lanny, one big reason, compatibility. With each program, if the programmer decided to drop the ball, or went out of business, there is a risk that it goes obsolete along with the operating system. This link can help: http://roaringapps.com/apps?platform=osx, although be sure the tests were done after the release of the operating system in question, as this site has a history of taking prerelease compatibility reports without telling you up front. There are still many held up by the fact they can't normally run Rosetta.

http://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-6271

Oct 5, 2015 5:33 PM in response to a brody

I am well aware of that, but running Rosetta is not an issue, as it it is not supported in Mountain Lion. I am also aware of the Roaringapps.com site. And, it has been my experience that there were not many apps that were orphaned by upgrades beyond Mountain Lion.

In any case, no one should upgrade without a backup of their prior system. Even if one didn't want to upgrade, they should have a backup.

That being said, anyone with a full backup of their prior system has minimal risk to upgrade, even if it's only on a trial basis.

So, I repeat, "Really can't understand why anyone still uses Mountain Lion when Mavericks, Yosemite, and now, El Capitan are clearly superior."

Is Mountain still supported by Apple now that OS 10.11 is out? is out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.