Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get my iOS saved WiFi passwords back?

For reasons that are not important, I had to reset the network settings on my iPhone 4. After rebooting, I found that all of my saved WiFi passwords were gone. Not only that, all of the saved WiFi passwords on my iPad 3 are also gone. So, every time I visit an old venue with WiFi I have to locate the WiFi password and re-enter it on both devices.

I have iCloud Keychain turned ON on both devices and on my MacMini and MacBook Air.

When I look at the System Keychain on my Mac I see all the saved WiFi passwords, but somehow they are not being synced to my iOS devices.

However, the date for the WiFi password at my condo is October 2nd. It should be sometime back in December 2014 when I first logged on there.

The date for the WiFi password at my home LAN is today, when I logged on with my iPad and iPhone. It should be years ago when I first set up my LAN.

How can I get all my saved passwords put back on my iPhone and iPad?

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 3:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2017 3:49 PM

You will lose not only iOS passwords, but all the wifi passwords on all your Macs. There is a lot of smoke and mirrors out there pretending that's not the case, but it is. First of all, avoid Network resets unless you have a very good reason to think they'll solve your problem. At least half the time, the recommendation is pointless. Secondly, turn off icloud keychain before you reset, if you do. I would also go into keychain and write down any special wifi passwords you have. A couple places closed off one of their wifis - the more reliable, faster one - but didnt mind the older customers who still had the pass for it, we were essentially grandfathered in. But after a network reset of one iPad - to fix a bluetooth issue - wiped out all the wifi passwords on all of my macs, in the blink of an eye - I of course couldn't get them to tell me it again (wasnt even the same staff), and i'd been using it for years automatically so i didnt remember it.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 14, 2017 3:49 PM in response to ivanlinares

You will lose not only iOS passwords, but all the wifi passwords on all your Macs. There is a lot of smoke and mirrors out there pretending that's not the case, but it is. First of all, avoid Network resets unless you have a very good reason to think they'll solve your problem. At least half the time, the recommendation is pointless. Secondly, turn off icloud keychain before you reset, if you do. I would also go into keychain and write down any special wifi passwords you have. A couple places closed off one of their wifis - the more reliable, faster one - but didnt mind the older customers who still had the pass for it, we were essentially grandfathered in. But after a network reset of one iPad - to fix a bluetooth issue - wiped out all the wifi passwords on all of my macs, in the blink of an eye - I of course couldn't get them to tell me it again (wasnt even the same staff), and i'd been using it for years automatically so i didnt remember it.

Oct 4, 2015 4:12 AM in response to wjosten

It would have been nice to have warned about that in advance. All I got was what is in the attached image. Nothing about deleting all WiFi passwords across all iOS devices. All I did was reset network settings on my phone, why did that have to delete passwords on my iPad? And, what is the rational for preventing syncing back from the keychain on my Mac? This ***** big time. Dozens and dozens of passwords I've collected all have to be reinterred. Huge hassle.

User uploaded file

How do I get my iOS saved WiFi passwords back?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.