Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I totally reset my iPhone? (Like a factory new)

Hi,

I have an iPhone 4S and a big problem with it. Two days ago I tried to factory reset it, but when it tuned off and started the setup process the white bar below the Apple logo disappeared before it finished. I waited about an hour and plugged to computer for restore by iTunes. It downloaded the newest iOS and started installing. In the end of the process it gave me Unknown Error 48 message.

Now when I turn it on it shows me connect to iTunes.

I tried to download previous version (9.0.1) and install with no success.

So my question is how can Apple set up their software onto the phones? Is there any kind of program which can restore it for the "factory software"? And how can I remove everything from the iPhone to do not disable the restore?

Thank you

iPhone 4S, iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 6:12 AM

20 replies

Oct 4, 2015 9:58 AM in response to Dulyfuly

Don't listen to people claiming your phone doesn't deserve support simply due to their ASSUMPTION that your phone is jailbroken. You never stated whether it was or not. So all options available to restore your phone should be mentioned.

Put the phone into DFU mode and reinstall the OS.

Entering DFU Mode on iPhone, iPad or iPod touch

1. Plug your device into your computer with a USB cable.
  2. Turn off the device.
  3. Hold the Power button for 3 seconds.
  4. Hold the Home and Power buttons for 10 seconds.
  5. Release the Power button but keep holding the Home button.
  6. After about 15 seconds you will be alerted by iTunes saying that it has detected a device in Recovery Mode.

Make sure the device screen is blank and no logos are present

From there you can re-install the latest iOS 9.0.2 release totally fresh. This is the last resort method if you are having no luck by simply pressing "Restore" in iTunes.

Oct 4, 2015 10:35 AM in response to nemesis4670

nemesis4670 wrote:

Don't listen to people claiming your phone doesn't deserve support simply due to their ASSUMPTION that your phone is jailbroken. You never stated whether it was or not. So all options available to restore your phone should be mentioned.

Put the phone into DFU mode and reinstall the OS.

Entering DFU Mode on iPhone, iPad or iPod touch

1. Plug your device into your computer with a USB cable.
  2. Turn off the device.
  3. Hold the Power button for 3 seconds.
  4. Hold the Home and Power buttons for 10 seconds.
  5. Release the Power button but keep holding the Home button.
  6. After about 15 seconds you will be alerted by iTunes saying that it has detected a device in Recovery Mode.

Make sure the device screen is blank and no logos are present

From there you can re-install the latest iOS 9.0.2 release totally fresh. This is the last resort method if you are having no luck by simply pressing "Restore" in iTunes.

Well that didn't work, got any more?

Oct 4, 2015 11:31 AM in response to Dulyfuly

Dulyfuly - downloading and messing about with illegally hosted ipsw files from some anonymous web site in Montenegro is not likely to help you much in getting back to a proper and legitimate installation of iOS.

Seriously, spend 2 minutes on Google looking up that error, and IF it is a result of being jalilbroken, you will find suggested solutions easily (although no guarantee they will work).

Otherwise, you'll need to take it in to an Apple Store and see what they say, as that error is not one specifically listed under any Apple trouble shooting steps or guides.

Oct 4, 2015 11:45 AM in response to Michael Black

They are not illegally hosted. Do your research. The links are pulling directly from Apple servers and if you knew anything about MD5 checksum and HASH you would know this. It's simply a directory to quickly access the files. They are not hosted there.

It downloads from this URL which is Apples server - http://appldnld.apple.com/ios9.0.2/031-37244-20150930-8AA55C68-64A1-11E5-9BD8-C3 E351D92A8C/iPhone4,1_9.0.2_13A452_Restor…

IF you want you can download it from iTunes and don't extract it. Then go to C:/Users/YourName/AppData/Roaming/Apple/iTunes/iPhone Update Software and get the same file.

Oct 4, 2015 12:06 PM in response to Csound1

You do understand how a support community works, no? You offer solutions that the OP has not yet tried to try and HELP them. You've done nothing except post a comment that it didn't work when he already said it didn't work. Is stating the obvious your job? I think I should pass the shovel to you. No surprise that a quick Google search of your username results in various postings dedicated to you and none of them positive.

How can I totally reset my iPhone? (Like a factory new)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.