Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is this e-mail from Apple correct?

I don't use iCloud, location services or find my phone,

After i signed out of iCloud, I received an e-mail from apple saying, your apple id and password will no longer be required for someone to erase, reactivate, and use your iPhone. How can anyone get on my phone if they don't have my touch id or phone password? Thanks a lot

iPhone 6, iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 5:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 10:00 AM

You may well receive an email when you sign out of iCloud, but I doubt it would say what you said it did.

read the following article for more help…

Identifying fraudulent "phishing" email - Apple Support

6 replies

Oct 4, 2015 7:51 AM in response to kountry

kountry wrote:

I don't use iCloud, location services or find my phone,

After i signed out of iCloud, I received an e-mail from apple saying, your apple id and password will no longer be required for someone to erase, reactivate, and use your iPhone. How can anyone get on my phone if they don't have my touch id or phone password? Thanks a lot

First of all I do not think it was a fraudulent email. Second if I had your phone in my hands right now and iCloud lock was disabled (which is what you did), I would have myself a good working phone in about half an hour. As long as I do not need your information on the phone (and I do not) disabling iCloud lock allows me to restore your phone and set it up for myself. Your touch id and password will delay the restore of your phone by precisely 2 minutes.

However if your iCloud lock was enabled - I would not be able to activate and use your phone, cause for activation I would need to have your iCloud password and nobody has it, but you.

Oct 4, 2015 9:59 AM in response to fromsouth

I'm sure the e-mail is genuine, I forwarded it to apple through Churchills link. I just hate being forced to use something I don't want. It's a tradeoff, take a chance someone honest finds it or give your personal info to the big data companies. Last year the encryption was sound, but the cloud isn't any better off! If I could just buy an old flip phone with a good keyboard and camera I would. Both replies helped, THANKS

Oct 4, 2015 1:44 PM in response to kountry

kountry wrote:

I'm sure the e-mail is genuine, I forwarded it to apple through Churchills link. I just hate being forced to use something I don't want. It's a tradeoff, take a chance someone honest finds it or give your personal info to the big data companies. Last year the encryption was sound, but the cloud isn't any better off! If I could just buy an old flip phone with a good keyboard and camera I would. Both replies helped, THANKS

I really am fascinated by your humanity (still searching for a better word) that leads you to believe something rather practically impossible over something very improbable. What is more likely to your opinion? - stranger with no information of who lost the phone returning it back to original owner vs someone breaking iCloud encryption.

Oct 7, 2015 7:25 AM in response to kountry

There is no need to apologize, your opinion in reality is all that matters and if iCloud disappointed you that is all. I would just suggest to research it before forming final opinion. In case if phone is lost, you can track it using iCloud or place message on the phone screen to what phone number person that found it can call. In case it is stolen in some cases you can also see the location, but if phone is simply turned off you will not, benefit for me in that case to know that what is stolen from me will not be used as a phone. I know there is no really benefit in that, but somehow it gives me a sense of more security.

That is besides technical benefits of the cloud - like backup and such. However there were no cloud at some point and people lived just like there were no

internet at some point and we still did grow as normal people (in my case hopefully).

Is this e-mail from Apple correct?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.