Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

sh: /usr/bin/lockfile: No such file or directory (127)

I recently upgraded to El Capitan version 10.11. I put my Mac Pro, the black barrel, to sleep every night. In the morning, for the last few days, I find a window with the above message, and the option to click "OK". What is trying to find this file or directory, and how can I keep this window from popping up?

None of the Categories below this window on this page apply. Apparently it has something to do with Mail.

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 5:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 2:57 PM

Lockfile is an executable file that is fundamental part of Mac OS X (actually the Darwin kernel) if it is not found, your Installation is damaged, and you should re-install Mac OS X in place (right over the old version). /usr/bin is exactly where that executable file ought to be -- it is not complaining about a lock going missing, it is complaining that the binary executable is missing.

NAME

lockfile - conditional semaphore-file creator

SYNOPSIS

lockfile -sleeptime | -r retries |

-l locktimeout | -s suspend | -! | -ml | -mu | filename ...

DESCRIPTION

lockfile can be used to create one or more semaphore files. If lock-

file can't create all the specified files (in the specified order), it

waits sleeptime (defaults to 8) seconds and retries the last file that

didn't succeed. You can specify the number of retries to do until

failure is returned. If the number of retries is -1 (default, i.e.,

-r-1) lockfile will retry forever.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 4, 2015 2:57 PM in response to Chiropteran

Lockfile is an executable file that is fundamental part of Mac OS X (actually the Darwin kernel) if it is not found, your Installation is damaged, and you should re-install Mac OS X in place (right over the old version). /usr/bin is exactly where that executable file ought to be -- it is not complaining about a lock going missing, it is complaining that the binary executable is missing.

NAME

lockfile - conditional semaphore-file creator

SYNOPSIS

lockfile -sleeptime | -r retries |

-l locktimeout | -s suspend | -! | -ml | -mu | filename ...

DESCRIPTION

lockfile can be used to create one or more semaphore files. If lock-

file can't create all the specified files (in the specified order), it

waits sleeptime (defaults to 8) seconds and retries the last file that

didn't succeed. You can specify the number of retries to do until

failure is returned. If the number of retries is -1 (default, i.e.,

-r-1) lockfile will retry forever.

Oct 21, 2015 1:38 AM in response to Chiropteran

I'm curious - did you check your /usr/bin directory to see if this file existed after re-installing? My installation doesn't have it, either. I recently upgraded to El Cap from Mavericks, and found the same message when I got home from work, (moments ago). SuperDuper is set to run during that time, but did not. No man entry for lockfile, either.

sh: /usr/bin/lockfile: No such file or directory (127)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.