Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 9.0.2: General restriction Cellular Data Use doesn't work

Hi all,

after I updated my iPhone 5S from iOS 8.4.1 to iOS 9.0.2 the general restriction under "Settings" > "General" > "Restrictions" > "Cellular Data Use" > "Don't allow changes" doens't work anymore, i.e. it shows no effect.

On iOS 8.4.1 with "Settings" > "General" > "Restrictions" > "Cellular Data Use" > "Don't allow changes" set, the settings under "Settings" > "Cellular" > "Use Cellular Data For" faded out and thus were protected.

On iOS 9.0.2 with "Settings" > "General" > "Restrictions" > "Cellular Data Use" > "Don't allow changes" set, you still can go to "Settings" > "Cellular" > "Use Cellular Data For" and switch app's cellular data access on and off.

Any ideas?

I already saw thishttps://discussions.apple.com/thread/7219001and first I thought they were talking about my problem, but then I got the impression that they were dealing with the switch on/off-problem under "Settings" > "Cellular" > "Use Cellular Data For" that was solved with 9.0.2, whereas my problem persists on 9.0.2.

Kind regards, Raynman352

iPhone 5s, iOS 9.0.2, null

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 5:51 AM

8 replies

Oct 4, 2015 10:01 PM in response to Raynman352

Raynman352,

I have the exact same problem on my son's iphone 5.... I check the "Don't allow changes" for cellular data under the Restrictions settings but it produces no effect. Nothing gets greyed out all apps are still allowed to toggle on or off cellular data. Like you said, all the other posts I can find about data usage are dealing with toggling on-off access....not the Restrictions issue. Hope this Restrictions issue is on the Apple's to-do list and the get's this fixed.

Oct 21, 2015 5:16 PM in response to gudel

iPhone 6 - iOS 9.0.2

I found a solution that worked for my phone here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7284663?answerId=29129027022#29129027022

Look for brenden dv's post - on Oct. 20, 2015 3:49 pm. for the complete question and answer.

The solution:

If it isn't already, set your "Cellular Data Use" restriction to "Don't Allow Changes". Go to the "Cellular" settings (on the main settings page), scroll down, and set the permissions for each individual app (turn them on or off). Scroll back up to the top in that same setting, and turn off the "Cellular Data" toggle button, then turn it back on. ".....the Restriction will then take effect, and the individual app Cellular data toggles will grey out....." (scroll back down to the apps settings to verify). Hope this helps some of you!

Oct 23, 2015 10:55 AM in response to tekkcarter

I tried this out, but it didn't help at all on my iPhone 5S.

When switching off "Cellular Data"- as you say, the settings under "Settings" > "Cellular" > "Use Cellular Data For" fade out - OK, but as soon as you switch "Cellular Data" on again, the app settings are unprotected again, in spite of the fact that the general restriction under "Settings" > "General" > "Restrictions" > "Cellular Data Use" > "Don't allow changes" has been activated.

Did I get anything wrong with your work around?

You also posted a link to another discussion that has been opened on the same topic. There people seem to have come to the same conclusion, i.e. it doens't help. Unfortunately.

Dec 5, 2015 5:37 AM in response to tekkcarter

Just tried this workaround of switching cellular data off and back on again. When I switched it back on, the screen hung for a little while, which was disconcerting, but when it did come back, all of the settings for individual apps were greyed out. Thanks!

Wait! No sorry. This is not a permanent solution. As soon as you exit out of and kill Settings, you can restart Settings and cellular data for individual apps is once again changeable by the user, even though the restriction is set so it should not be changeable.

Ugh. When's Apple going to fix this?

iOS 9.0.2: General restriction Cellular Data Use doesn't work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.