Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Make multiple movies at one time from one large video file

My goal is to skim basketball gametape and pull out clips and sort them into multiple projects:

For example, I skim through a game and a player scores:

Can I immediately pull that clip and put it in 3 different projects such as: players personal highlight tape project, the team highlight tape project, and the team offense project?

Can I quickly go back and forth from adding clips to one project then another?

What is the best way to go about this process using final cut pro or iMovie?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 5:47 AM

3 replies

Oct 4, 2015 11:22 PM in response to jdirkin5

I have little knowledge of iMovie but what you want to do it very simple in FCPX - I do it all the time.

I have Libraries containing my large video files, and I add keywords to help me find the sequences I want (sometimes I use them years after shooting). My Projects are in different Libraries to the ones containing the original footage.

When required, I simply drag or apply the clip I want to the Project I need it in. FCPX comes up with a warning if you drag a clip from one Library to another, but I use referenced material all the time, so even though the thumbnail is copied to the new Library, the original clip is not duplicated. (The warning can be disabled in preferences, too).

Andy

Oct 5, 2015 12:08 AM in response to jdirkin5

@Tom

if I remember correctly, Keywords were allowed in the previous version of iMovie; the actual one axed that... (???!!)

@jdirkins

What Tom said…

In traditonal edit.apps, you had to create 'drawers' to put in a clip; one clip = one drawer (=folder, bin, younameit).

In FCPX you can apply as many tags as you want to a clip, section of a clip, overlapping parts of a clip etc...

Esp. for your task, this feature is huge! make a selection, apply as many keywords as you like, next.

Those keywords offer keyboard shortcuts, so you tag a whole game in minutes ... half an hour 😉

Plus: you get automatically collections - which is 80% of your projects done. Select it, and only your highlights or JohnsBest or FailOfTheYear are shown...

My habitual procedure every week:

while ffw in 4x speed, I favorize my 90min recording, resulting a few dozen 'clean' scenes, 90min>>20min:

my fingers on J/K/L, the thumb on Space for Play, hitting I and O to mark scenes, hitting F to mark it as a good one

step 2: filter set to Favorites Only, now skimming thru , I apply "good", "slowmo", "diff angle", "fun" and/or "year in review"

That's done incredible fast, and when you're used to it, you 'stare' at the preview window only, no need to change hands btw keyboard and mouse/trackpad...

forget the limitations of drawers - tagging is the magic sauce 😀

Make multiple movies at one time from one large video file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.