Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hard reset

Hi there. I have a Macbook Pro 4,1 currently running on Snow Leapord. I'm trying to figure out how to restore a SSD to the factory settings, not just 'erase' it. I have read a number of articles about how a typical 'secure erase' is harmful to the SSD and just writes over the old data - not really restoring the blocks. However, I haven't found a clear description on how to perform such a restoration. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

This was unanswered from another user....I have SAME cpu running SAME....I need to give it to my son.....I NEED to reset it, I cannot figure out how with SSD. Thanks

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 6:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 7:02 AM

I just tried another reset from disk utility on the Snow Leopard disk....will see if that works

3 replies

Oct 4, 2015 7:04 AM in response to Wills House Mac Recording

Finally got the options to highlight....cant believe how much harder it is with SSD to erase it! I simply put in the factory disc, held down option during restart and chose the disc....in that disk utility I erased all partitions and then re-installed SNow Leopard since this macbook only will go up to OSX 10.6....thanks

Hard reset

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.