Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

el capitan update problem

I started updating my macbook pro with el capitan and closed the lid before it was finished. Now I try to open my macbook and it just keeps restarting.

Help

iMac G5, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 5:47 AM

1 reply

Nov 7, 2015 6:09 AM in response to PUNKUN

Hi! I have the same problem after the installer hung for hours on my iMac. There's been some discussion on the boards elsewhere, and this is what was suggested to me:

1. Apple support told me how to boot into recovery mode over the phone (they were very nice, and did the best they could long-distance). Turn on your MacBook and hold down the "r" key to do this.

2. Once you're in recovery mode, you can try to repair your hard drive. In my experience, it didn't help, but it's worth a shot.

3. After this, choose the option to install El Capitan again. If you haven't done it already, this will give you time to save all your important stuff to an external hard drive.

4. If you're lucky - I wasn't - you may then be able to restore your system from a time machine backup at this point. If not-

5. I'm going to try to link to the other discussion, if I can find it. It was really helpful. I think you can find it by searching "El Capitan boot loop". What they told me there:

a. While you're up and running in recovery mode, get online and find the instructions for making a bootable copy of ElCapitan on a USB stick. Please make sure this is a fresh, complete copy.

b. Use disc utility to erase your hard drive.

c. Turn off your computer, put your bootable USB stick into a USB slot, and boot up from that drive. Install El Capitan from the drive, and then restore your files from the external hard drive.

I've to say I found this advice pretty scary when I read it. With luck, you won't have to go this far. The reinstall from recovery mode might work for you, or you might be able to restore from Time Machine. Good luck!

el capitan update problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.