Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I setup an Airport Extreme which is connected via ethernet cable to an Airport Express, to extend wifi network, using cable

hi, i have a network with Time Capsule at a base station, which I want to extend with ethernet cable. The TC is connected to an Airport Express via cable, and from there to an Airport Extreme, also via ethernet cable. However, the Airport Extreme only picks up the wifi signal, and is not using the ethernet cable signal. I come to this conclusion as the internet speed goes down dramatically (from 65 to 5 Mbps) and it still works when pulling out the ethernet cable (I checked internet access through the cable with my laptop, it works). What is the configuration of the Extreme? create or extend a wireless network? Thanks!

Time Capsule 802.11AC 3T-OTHER, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), reset

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 8:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 8:32 AM

If an Ethernet connection feeds an AirPort router, then the AirPort needs to be set up to "Create a wireless network".

"Extend a wireless network" is only used when AirPorts connection together using a wireless connection.

If you have a device configured to "extend" and an Ethernet cable is then connected to the AirPort, this will result in a huge feedback loop on the network, which will dramatically reduce performance.

The solution is to start over and reset the AirPort that you want to provide additional wireless coverage back to factory default settings. Then, establish the Ethernet connection to the AirPort and use the configuration "wizard" to set things up. The wizard will literally do everything for you, so you don't need to worry about things like "create", "extend" or "Bridge Mode".

All that you need to do is assign a device name that you want to use for the AirPort and the setup wizard will take care of everything else.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 4, 2015 8:32 AM in response to Pehama

If an Ethernet connection feeds an AirPort router, then the AirPort needs to be set up to "Create a wireless network".

"Extend a wireless network" is only used when AirPorts connection together using a wireless connection.

If you have a device configured to "extend" and an Ethernet cable is then connected to the AirPort, this will result in a huge feedback loop on the network, which will dramatically reduce performance.

The solution is to start over and reset the AirPort that you want to provide additional wireless coverage back to factory default settings. Then, establish the Ethernet connection to the AirPort and use the configuration "wizard" to set things up. The wizard will literally do everything for you, so you don't need to worry about things like "create", "extend" or "Bridge Mode".

All that you need to do is assign a device name that you want to use for the AirPort and the setup wizard will take care of everything else.

How can I setup an Airport Extreme which is connected via ethernet cable to an Airport Express, to extend wifi network, using cable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.