Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

after upgrading to ios9, can't connect to itunes

After upgrading my ipad2 (MC733LL/A) to IOS9.2, itunes gives me an error message saying "the ipad cannot be used because it requires a newer version of itunes" but when i check for updates it says I have latest version (11.4)

iPad 2, iOS 9.0.2, itunes 11.4

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 7:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2015 5:59 AM

This has nothing really to do with the iPad and everything to do with your computer and operating system version it runs (about which we know nothing). Get more information about your computer. Go to the Apple in the upper left corner of any window, then "About This Mac". Write down what it says about "version"and report that here. Now continue to "More Info..." Copy and paste the information here, but omit the serial number and Hardware UUID (if present).

The basic issue is that for most people a device running iOS9 requires iTunes 12.3 and iTunes 12.3 requires operating system 10.8.5 or higher. The question now is can your computer be upgraded to run that or are you stuck with having to buy a newer computer or alternatively learning how to make-do and use your device without iTunes?

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 5, 2015 5:59 AM in response to tomreinstadtler

This has nothing really to do with the iPad and everything to do with your computer and operating system version it runs (about which we know nothing). Get more information about your computer. Go to the Apple in the upper left corner of any window, then "About This Mac". Write down what it says about "version"and report that here. Now continue to "More Info..." Copy and paste the information here, but omit the serial number and Hardware UUID (if present).

The basic issue is that for most people a device running iOS9 requires iTunes 12.3 and iTunes 12.3 requires operating system 10.8.5 or higher. The question now is can your computer be upgraded to run that or are you stuck with having to buy a newer computer or alternatively learning how to make-do and use your device without iTunes?

Oct 5, 2015 6:07 AM in response to Limnos

I had a feeling that was the problem. I'm running 10.6.8 and while I'm confident I can upgrade, its anybodies guess how many other programs will stop working. It amazes me that itunes installed an operating system that it wasn't compatible with but I guess that's our friends at apple.

Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro4,1

Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Processor Speed: 2.93 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 8 MB

Memory: 12 GB

Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s

Boot ROM Version: MP41.0081.B07

SMC Version (system): 1.39f5

SMC Version (processor tray): 1.39f5

Oct 5, 2015 7:01 AM in response to tomreinstadtler

It would seem you are running one of these: http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_pro/specs/mac-pro-quad-core-2.93-early -2009-nehalem-specs.html

You can use the Mac App Store application to download the free ElCapitan operating system. You may first wish to check application compatibility at roaringapps.com and also by using System Profiler to display your list of applications sorted by kind. PPC generation applications are no longer supported after 10.6 and even some 10.6 generation applications may not make the jump to 10.11

after upgrading to ios9, can't connect to itunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.