Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I updated iPhone 5 to iOS 9.0.2, now email does not work, what do you suggest?

iPhone 5, iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 7:38 AM

9 replies

Oct 4, 2015 7:48 AM in response to robertfromblairstown

Robert, try resetting your Mail Account and system by following these steps (please do not skip any steps).

First close your Mail App completely from the multitasking window by double clicking the Home button and swiping up the Mail preview pane up until it disappears from the screen. You may have to look for the Mail pane by scrawling to the left as there may be other panes there from other apps. Then go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > locate your email provider and click on the account. Then on the next page Delete Account. Then do a forced restart. Hold down the Home and Wake/Sleep buttons at the same time for about 15-20 seconds until the Apple logo appears. Ignore the "Slide to power off" text if it comes up. You will not lose anything. Then go back to Settings > Mail… and add the account again.

Oct 4, 2015 8:28 AM in response to robertfromblairstown

Ok... it appears that you have a corrupted Mail App or a corrupted system. To restore do the following.

Detailed Steps for a full Restore:

You could have a defective device or a corrupted system/app. Try doing a full Restore per the instructions below. If does not work, then your may have a defective device and would need to take it to an Apple Store or Authorized Dealer for evaluation. Hopefully the Restore will fix it.

Please follow the instructions in the article below. The process is rather straight forward as iTunes will guide you along the way. You will have to disable Find my iPhone/iPad first. Don't forget to set it back to On when you are through and also set Send Last Location to ON.

Connect your device to your computer. Then import all your photos from the device to the computer and copy all important documents directly to your computer as well. Then do a full backup to iTunes, just follow the instructions below. Then select Restore iPhone/iPad and iTunes will install a fresh copy of the current iOS and will erase all your data and settings. After iTunes has installed a fresh copy of the iOS, it will ask you if you want to set your device as New or restore from Backup. Choose From Backup. Restoring from backup will bring back all your Settings, Apps, Photos on Camera Roll, etc. You should not lose anything.

After completion check to see if works. There is a possibility that restoring from the backup may bring back some system/app corruption. If this occurs (unlikely) you would have to start over again, set it up as New and install all Apps manually (a time consuming process). You would also lose your photos and documents so it is important to back them up first as I mentioned above. I have done this procedure many times in the past and restored from backup with no difficulties - it takes 30-50 minutes.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201252

Oct 4, 2015 3:34 PM in response to Templeton Peck

Templeton Peck wrote:

It's unwise to suggest doing a full restore without first trying a hard reset, as this often fixes many problems.

First, I did not ask you for advice. Secondly, there is no such thing as a hard reset anymore - the proper Apple terminology is a forced restart. Lastly and more importantly, if you had done your homework prior to opening your mouth you would have read my post above, 10/4/15, 9:48 AM CDT, which stated: "Then do a forced restart. Hold down the Home and Wake/Sleep buttons at the same time for about 15-20 seconds until the Apple logo appears. Ignore the "Slide to power off" text if it comes up. You will not lose anything." As if that was not sufficient I then replied "Did you try the steps I suggested one by one?" to which he replied: "Yes, twice."

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt"

Samuel Johnson, 1709-1784

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.