Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS9 Notes Folders show populated on iPad but not on other devices

I've upgraded my iPad Air, iPhone 6, iMac, and MacBook to iOS9 and El Capitan, respectively.

On my iPad, I created a bunch of folders in Notes, and moved my existing notes into those folders. (In "Notes" list, I click "Edit", then select a bunch of notes, then click "Move To...".)

On the iPad, those notes appear in the folders that I moved them to.

On my iPhone, iMac, and MacBook, the folders have appeared, but they are empty. My existing notes do exist on those devices, but they are not categorized into any folder. If I edit one of the notes on any device -- say, add a line break at the end of the note -- then the edit pushes to the note on the other devices, but the folder-ization of the note does not change on any device.

Glimmers of success:

• If I create a brand new note within one of those folders on any device, it does appear in the correct folder on all devices.
  • If I edit a note on my iPad (where it's already showing in the correct folder), then the other devices get the edit but don't recognize the folder-ization, as I mention above. But, if I then disable Note syncing, for example, on my MacBook in my iCloud System Preferences pane, and then re-enable it, then the notes that I've edited on my iPad do end up in the correct folder on my MacBook.

What on earth could be going on here?? Any ideas how to fix things without manually editing every note??

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 8:09 AM

2 replies

Oct 10, 2015 7:58 AM in response to sethertonb

Same problem here too. But it seems like my iDevices (iPhone 4S and iPad Air, both iOS 9) sync okay, with the folders being populated.

But on both a 5K iMac and a 2014 Macbook Air with El Capitan, it shows and updates the notes, and shows the folders, but empty. Same problem as you.

I tried checking off syncing notes in the iCloud System Preferences panel a couple of times, but to no avail.

Oct 21, 2015 4:40 AM in response to sethertonb

I *kind of* found a solution.

I opened the Notes application on my Macbook Air, and put all the notes in the right folders manually again on the Mac.

Then I closed it. Then I saw it was synced on the iMac too. And, more importantly, SINCE then, notes sync in the right folders. So it's kind of solved by populating the folders correctly and in the same way as on your iOS device, once, on the Mac with El Capitan.

iOS9 Notes Folders show populated on iPad but not on other devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.