Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I update iPhoto before upgrading OSX?

I'm running iPhoto 9.5.1 under Mavericks. I cannot upgrade to 9.6.1 (required for Yosemite or El Capitan) as App store tells me I need to run Yosemite to use load that version, but I cannot get Yosemite now and if I did, iPhoto would not run as it would not be 9.5.1 and I am informed that I would still be unable to upgrade it. Ditto if I moved to El Capitan. So what am I supposed to do and in what order?

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 9:20 AM

12 replies

Oct 4, 2015 9:27 AM in response to Yorkie29

Terence Devlin

Apr 14, 2015 2:21 PM

Re: Is Iphoto gone ? i want it back!

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If it is there, then drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

Oct 4, 2015 9:34 AM in response to Niel

Ummm.. so it might work or not.

Cannot move to El Capitan yet as Apple screwed up the driver for my Canon Scanner who do not yet have, and may not be bothered to write, an updated driver due to Apple changing the OS. By the time that problem is fixed, Iphoto may have disappeared completely. I have to say I'm not impressed wit hthe way Apple immediately withdraws old OS the instant a new one is released. Anyone would think they don't care what mayhem they cause.

Oct 4, 2015 9:40 AM in response to Yorkie29

Yorkie29 wrote:

Ummm.. so it might work or not.

Cannot move to El Capitan yet as Apple screwed up the driver for my Canon Scanner who do not yet have, and may not be bothered to write, an updated driver due to Apple changing the OS. By the time that problem is fixed, Iphoto may have disappeared completely. I have to say I'm not impressed wit hthe way Apple immediately withdraws old OS the instant a new one is released. Anyone would think they don't care what mayhem they cause.

I don't see why Apple should be expected to fix problems caused by Canon's laziness.

I am not impressed with your apportioning of blame.

How do I update iPhoto before upgrading OSX?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.