Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Late 2009 iMac keeps falling asleep while streaming video

Streaming video from my iMac worked perfectly until about a month ago (didn't download any new apps - it just started sleeping and not waking up out of the blue). I always set my mac to sleep after 10 minutes. This previously was not a problem at all, and my iMac would wake up when I requested it to stream something. Now it falls asleep after 10 minutes while streaming video and it won't wake back up. I've reset the PRAM, reset SMC, selected, "wake for network access" under energy saver, selected "prevent OS from sleeping while streaming" in PS3 media server - although I've tried other DLNA software and I have the same problem. I've googled and tried every solution that I can find, but nothing helps. I was on Mavericks when the problem started, but updated to El Capitan - no help there. It still has the same problem. At this point, I strongly suspect that it's a hardware issue. My network is wired and I'm generally streaming to a WD Live media player. Tried streaming to the PS3, and PS4, still get the same problem. It's as if my Mac OS will not accept commands from third party software anymore. I replaced the hard drive about two years ago and the system status says my hard drive is fine. Not interested in the Caffeine app. I want a solution - not a work around. Sure, it doesn't go to sleep if I set it to never sleep or sleep after 3 hours will at least let me watch most movies continuously, but I'd rather save energy when I'm not using it, and I don't want to change the energy saver settings every time I stream something.

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 8:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 3:06 PM

It appears to be fixed, although I'm not sure what exactly solved the problem.

I used terminal to change the PM setting for "networkoversleep" from 0 to 1. Tested it. iMac stil went to sleep. Rebooted. Still went to sleep. Enabled wi-fi. I read in another thread that enabling wi-fi can help. Tested it. Finally, my iMac stayed awake while streaming. Disabled the wi-fi. Now it still remains awake while streaming. Rebooted. Tested it again and it still works. Weird issue, but I'm just glad it's working again after searching for a solution for the past month.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 4, 2015 3:06 PM in response to JT 1138

It appears to be fixed, although I'm not sure what exactly solved the problem.

I used terminal to change the PM setting for "networkoversleep" from 0 to 1. Tested it. iMac stil went to sleep. Rebooted. Still went to sleep. Enabled wi-fi. I read in another thread that enabling wi-fi can help. Tested it. Finally, my iMac stayed awake while streaming. Disabled the wi-fi. Now it still remains awake while streaming. Rebooted. Tested it again and it still works. Weird issue, but I'm just glad it's working again after searching for a solution for the past month.

Late 2009 iMac keeps falling asleep while streaming video

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.