Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 12.3 with el Capitan not responding

I just installed OS X El Capitan on my iMac and my iTunes (12.3) has not been working since. When iTunes is open, I can't click on anything. I know it's not a mouse problem, because the mouse works with any other application or program.

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 8:08 AM

180 replies

Jan 29, 2017 10:51 PM in response to Plux_Quba

II've done steps 1-3 above, making me the owner with full permissions on the iTunes.app file. Still, when I try to delete it, it wont saying its a file reuired by the o/s. Any ideas how I can delete it now? I've already downloaded an earlier version, so I thought what the heck, I'll run its install. But it stops saying a newer version is already installed. Asserrggggg! This is so frustrating. I really use iTunes!

Jan 29, 2017 11:12 PM in response to Plux_Quba

I Read somewhere else where when changing thr permissions in the original(not working) itunes, you also have to change the permissions on"everyone" to read+write.

did that and it worked! M all deleted an new installation older version is proceeding nicely

originall, I just made me read+write and made me the owner. This dupidnt work -couldn't remove the file. Doing that permissions on everyone made it work

Feb 23, 2017 12:26 PM in response to Cedric Frenette

Hi. Started having problems with iTunes crashing today on 2/23/17. I'm currently up to date on iTunes and OS X. iTunes wouldn't quit, even force quit; I couldn't restart my computer, I couldn't get the program to fully open up once I'd force-powered-down, same old. (By "fully open up" I mean I'd open the app, the computer would say the app was open and I had an option to force quit it, but no windows or menu bar items appeared and nothing would happen.)

I uninstalled/reinstalled; didn't work.

Finally after following a lead on a poorly-translated sketchy-looking blog, I performed the operation outlined here https://support.globalsign.com/customer/portal/articles/1353318-view-and-or-dele te-crl-ocsp-cache

... and though it took a while to open, it finally did open, and work.

Hope this helps some people.

Oct 4, 2015 1:06 PM in response to Cedric Frenette

I also have this problem, thought it was iCloud permission problems, went into folder and deleted, worked for a while and then just froze again. Cannot access iTunes at all, the only thing that works is to force quit.

Have also tried Safe Boot, and repairing permissions, both to no avail....

Also, on every start up; iTunes takes about 5mins looking for my music folders.

Mac Mini 2012, OS X 10.11

Oct 10, 2015 6:48 AM in response to drsalsa

I just tried googling this issue, and one of the top hits was this thread. Nothing enlightening out there that I could find.

Somebody has got to contact Apple Support and try to get this walked-through to a solution. I can't do it because I'm not having this problem. But if somebody here has got the time, you can initiate a phone call or an online chat via the Apple Support page -- click "Support" above and then choose iTunes and navigate from there. The system may suggest some troubleshooting measures. And if you find a solution, or any information that will be helpful to others, please post it here.

iTunes 12.3 with el Capitan not responding

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.