Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

For the love of god how do I disable history and bookmark suggestions dropdown in safari 9?

This problem should be simple to solve and yet... Apple. So, I'd like to find out how to disable history and bookmark suggestions dropdown in safari 9 (under el capitan). Similar issues seem to have been resolved in prior versions of safari and yet I install el capitan and here we go again.

I don't mind autofilling a single address as I type, I don't mind having bookmarks, in fact I need them. I do not want to turn on privacy or nuke my history. I do want to be able to type in the address bar and not have an egregious affront to proper UI/UX and a giant trigger for my dyslexia pop down and invade my user experience. The tops site were bad enough - worse as a dropdown - but at least those I could shut off.

it seems like it should be so easy... I have turned off all the things people have said to turn off from the prior versions of safari that did this (or something similar) and yet the horror persists. Running Safari 9.0 (11601.1.56) and OS X 10.11.

Any help is appreciated. Forgive me if this is already answered. I could not find a complete resolution here or on google.

User uploaded file

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 9:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2015 8:13 PM

Update for anyone who's interested:

Basically my iPhone 6s was royally hosed and all the tricks like clearing the hosts file of apple.com references and flushing the DNS did not work. I finally brought it in to apple who, to their credit, saw me immediately even though they had accidentally mis-scheduled my visit for a week later (?!?!).

It may have been my subtle threat to return the phone outright and just buy a new one, but, in any case, they were great and were able to root the phone (I'm guessing) and force reset the DFU mode and apply new firmware directly through whatever not-tunes not-terminal mechanism they have. I peeked at the Mac they used, as it was right there on the counter, and it looked like the display for phone restore that's in iTunes but was clearly not iTunes. What I would not give for that software...

Anyway, phone is happy now and so am I. I am on my way... Its was a headache but better than a continually crashing iPhone 4s. 🙂

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2015 8:13 PM in response to Demos O.

Update for anyone who's interested:

Basically my iPhone 6s was royally hosed and all the tricks like clearing the hosts file of apple.com references and flushing the DNS did not work. I finally brought it in to apple who, to their credit, saw me immediately even though they had accidentally mis-scheduled my visit for a week later (?!?!).

It may have been my subtle threat to return the phone outright and just buy a new one, but, in any case, they were great and were able to root the phone (I'm guessing) and force reset the DFU mode and apply new firmware directly through whatever not-tunes not-terminal mechanism they have. I peeked at the Mac they used, as it was right there on the counter, and it looked like the display for phone restore that's in iTunes but was clearly not iTunes. What I would not give for that software...

Anyway, phone is happy now and so am I. I am on my way... Its was a headache but better than a continually crashing iPhone 4s. 🙂

For the love of god how do I disable history and bookmark suggestions dropdown in safari 9?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.