Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

safari 9 and youtube video quality

Just upgraded to Safari 9 - now all youtube videos max out at 720 and don't allow for 1080 or higher resolution.

I have AT&T Uverse 50MPS so bandwidth isn't an issue. Even checked on my Macbook pro running safari v 8 and I can get those higher video quality.

Any solutions?

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 10:47 AM

2 replies

Oct 4, 2015 6:01 PM in response to mdvornak

I am experiencing the same problem: YouTube video quality using Safari 9.0 on OS X 10.9.5

It appears that the new HTML5 YouTube player doesn't work properly in Safari on Mavericks.

The simple workaround that I found is enabling the "Develop" menu in Safari (Preferences -> Advanced) and then changing the User Agent to, say, Firefox-Mac. This way YouTube loads the old Flash player that has all the video quality options including 1080p.

Oct 4, 2015 7:01 PM in response to mdvornak

I had this and other issues after deleting Flash Player, and running HTML5 on YouTube. Also found that any live streams on YouTube or Twitch froze my system. I updated to El Capitan and now have not only 1080p but also 60 FPS on Youtube and Twitch. So much nicer, and content has never looked so good on a '09 MBP.

The short of it is Safari 9 on Mavericks has some issues with HTML5 Video. Update if you can. It was 100% worth it for me.

shortcut

safari 9 and youtube video quality

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.